• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

daisybay

Reaction score
So do you think the #8's would look good with straight leg denim and chinos? Also, would they be comfortable to walk around in all day? Going from the R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman, I thought they looked really good with slim fit denim/pants but with a straight leg, they almost looked like western boots with the chiseled toe.

If I did go with the #8, I am interested in a brown leather. Anyone familiar with the chestnut burnished calf or dark brown burnishes calf? I don't mind burnished but thinking that too may make them more formal than casual looking.

My feet are average, width is between C/D but closer to D.
Hi! I have 2 pairs of RM Williams (UK8.5, one chinchilla in bordeaux and one comfort in black)
as well as the CJ chelsea 8 in UK8.5 in the chestnut burnished (they didn't make the brown one at the time) and I have worn them with chinos and straight denim and to me they look good!
I also find them all to fit very comfortable with the edge to the CJ because it hugs my ankles really well BUT it is much easier to get in and out of the RM williams. I just picked up a carmina shell chelsea and am wearing them now as I type and that pair is very very comfortable, with a tiny bit of heel slip but not bad. I would highly advise you try in person if possible b/c the shoes can look quite different in person than from the online pics!

Also compared to the inca last carmina, the chelsea 5 is bulky and not at all dressy.

As a side note I might be picking up a loafer this summer from CJ, maybe the grantham 2 OR more likely the Finchley 2 in suede! I tried them both on recently at the Prince street store and they both fit so good! My wife asked why I didn't get them and I was like hey I was waiting for the carmina shell to arrive lol! Too much money atm as well but hey stocks have been doing well lately!

Last edited:

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my Islay switched over to the Vibram equivalent of a Ridgeway. Top tier cobbler in Chicago charged me $195. That did include a new corkbed, midsole and completely new heel stack.
Damn that's expensive - I'm seeing $66 for a full sole here: http://www.beaconhillshoerepair.com/services.html - what am I missing in terms of hidden costs, or are you just getting a huge price ding because of the Vibram premium?

Fenners81

Reaction score
Damn that's expensive - I'm seeing $66 for a full sole here: http://www.beaconhillshoerepair.com/services.html - what am I missing in terms of hidden costs, or are you just getting a huge price ding because of the Vibram premium?
I don't think it's that expensive given that he's had a complete rebuild from a top level cobbler. There's a big difference between a resole and having a rebuild with new cork bed and midsole.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 thing to consider with regards to Ridgeway vs Vibram Londra is that you avoid the Ridfeway's hockey puck heel cap. The Londra is much thinner and gives a more elegant appearance to the heel stack.

lurker33

Reaction score
Londra is brilliant, the heel stack looks much better with it. But i am a bit concerned about the longevity of the heel, especially if i wore them multiple times a week.
IMG_20240612_200327_lmc_8.4.jpg

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they're awesome but Ridgeway will be good enough for me, and if I can add it on for $66 then it will be worth it

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called and they quoted $85-95 for the full sole w/ Rideway replacement - $66 is just the generic quote on the website. Does that seem better? They're a vetted cobbler in the area so I assume they're good.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Londra is brilliant, the heel stack looks much better with it. But i am a bit concerned about the longevity of the heel, especially if i wore them multiple times a week. View attachment 2199229
Same here, and we'll find out. Just need to monitor it, so that all the cobbler has to do is replace the rubber cap and not the whole heel. I don't think that would be too much of a dollar hit.

I've never had Ridgeway. How do you find the hardness/comfort factor compared to the Londra. Are they similar or is the Ridgeway a more dense, hard rubber like the Dainite? Also, I was shocked at how much lighter my Islays were when the Dainite came off.

lurker33

Reaction score
Same here, and we'll find out. Just need to monitor it, so that all the cobbler has to do is replace the rubber cap and not the whole heel. I don't think that would be too much of a dollar hit.

I've never had Ridgeway. How do you find the hardness/comfort factor compared to the Londra. Are they similar or is the Ridgeway a more dense, hard rubber like the Dainite? Also, I was shocked at how much lighter my Islays were when the Dainite came off.
Londra is a bit softer than Ridgeway. Ridgeway still a long way from Dainite though, very good sole.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I called and they quoted $85-95 for the full sole w/ Rideway replacement - $66 is just the generic quote on the website. Does that seem better? They're a vetted cobbler in the area so I assume they're good.

I seriously doubt this is even a resole in the sense that others (and perhaps you) are thinking. I suspect this is more like sanding down the current sole and gluing on the new one along with a new heel top lift, ie. more akin to a sole protector job than a resole.

For this price, I would be asking a lot of questions to confirm exactly what they are doing and how. Offhand, I am not sure of the material costs for a Ridgeway sole but I don't see how a cobbler can do it at this price, never mind one that is located in Boston.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poppiseed