• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Giev

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree I it wouldn’t be acceptable if I paid full RRP price.

I paid £200+10 (shipping) for it, that’s why I am on the fence. Out of curiosity, it’s advertised and looks like new and was not flagged as factory seconds, how would I know if it was one though?

Fenners81

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree I it wouldn’t be acceptable if I paid full RRP price.

I paid £200+10 (shipping) for it, that’s why I am on the fence. Out of curiosity, it’s advertised and looks like new and was not flagged as factory seconds, how would I know if it was one though?
Resellers like Matches don't sell factory seconds, but that one clearly got through the net. At that price I think you've done OK though.

Giev

Reaction score
Thank you.

One more question, are the boots using repello suede? Ie how much baby sitting would the suede boots need in UK climate?

Fenners81

Reaction score
Thank you.

One more question, are the boots using repello suede? Ie how much baby sitting would the suede boots need in UK climate?
Not too much in my view. My approach would be suede protector spray and a good brush off now and then. I personally wouldn't wear them in heavy rain.

colton2e

Reaction score
I apologize as the overly eager new member but after purchasing the C&J Harvard 2 loafers, I am interested in replacing my R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman boots (chestnut leather). I like the R.M. boot but mistakenly went too small and after wearing them quite a bit during a recent trip to Tokyo, several of my toes turned nearly black due to the incorrect sizing (toes hitting front of boot).

I am considering the C&J Chelsea 5 and 8 but leaning towards the 5 in dark brown wax with Dainite rubber soles over the 8 with city rubber soles. My reasoning is I am interested in a multi purpose Chelsea boot that I can wear for business casual (olive/khaki colored chinos/indigo denim), weekend and easily pack when traveling. I thought the Chelsea 8 with the slimmer toe looks a bit more formal especially with the dark brown or chestnut burnished leather. I did like the look of the Comfort Craftsman especially when worn with slim/tapered denim/trousers but I was less crazy about the look when worn with straight leg denim/trousers.

My question is would the 8 look too bulky/chunky for what intended uses?
The fact that you missized by that degree tells me you might have a lower volume/low instep foot. If that’s the case you’ll have a hard time finding a properly fitting Chelsea boot. 335 is very generous through the instep and I fear you’d be tempted to make the same mistake to get a “snug” fit. You’re probably wearing your RM Williams at least 1.5 sizes too small. Toes should never be able to hit the front of a shoe and boots will often have at least 2 full sizes allowance at the front to allow for thicker socks and more freedom of movement.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
The fact that you missized by that degree tells me you might have a lower volume/low instep foot. If that’s the case you’ll have a hard time finding a properly fitting Chelsea boot. 335 is very generous through the instep and I fear you’d be tempted to make the same mistake to get a “snug” fit. You’re probably wearing your RM Williams at least 1.5 sizes too small. Toes should never be able to hit the front of a shoe and boots will often have at least 2 full sizes allowance at the front to allow for thicker socks and more freedom of movement.
I picked up a pair of C&J Harvard 2 suede loafers and tried various sizes. The UK 9 fits very well. I also tried some other RM Williams and had previously purchased a an 8G (US 9), the 9G fit nicely. I do not plan to buy another pair of RM Williams and will be in NYC in August. I will try to visit the C&J store and try on the Chelsea 5 and 8.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
take the number 8!
last 341 is very balanced for your purpose.
number 5 / 11 on last 335 are more bulky, good for country boots.
Would the number 8 look too sleek/slim for a casual look (i.e. straight cut denim/chinos)? My work is no longer formal (smart business casual is fine). I would like a Chelsea boot that I can get plenty of wear (office, weekend and easily packed for travel - walking around all day and still wear in the evening).

lurker33

Reaction score
Would the number 8 look too sleek/slim for a casual look (i.e. straight cut denim/chinos)? My work is no longer formal (smart business casual is fine). I would like a Chelsea boot that I can get plenty of wear (office, weekend and easily packed for travel - walking around all day and still wear in the evening).
I think 341 is great for business casual, but for walking around all day i would probably prefer the extra volume in 335.

Menninki

Reaction score
Coniston in dark brown scotch grain.

ConistonDBSG_stone.JPG

T1mb0

Reaction score
Thanks, I would place higher value on comfort for walking around all day vs. looking smarter for businesss casual

My Chelsea 11 in Slate Suede are probably my most worn pair of boots (out of 15 or so pairs). They are very comfortable and versatile - perfect with smart casual jeans, cords or chinos.

Bodileys also do a C&J made suede Chelsea on a 325 last - also with storm welt but slightly sleeker last. https://www.bodileys.com/product/bodileys-stanhope-chelsea-boot-dark-brown-suede/

Pics of both below:

IMG_3167.png

IMG_3168.png

Chelsea 5 and 8 both very nice too, though 8 is definitely sleeker/smarter. For me I would wear the 8 out for dinner or to a smart function but 11 can do day, travel, work and evening duties.

Last edited:

Mister McGee

Reaction score
My Chelsea 11 in Slate Suede are probably my most worn pair of boots (out of 15 or so pairs). They are very comfortable and versatile - perfect with smart casual jeans, cords or chinos.

Bodileys also do a C&J made suede Chelsea on a 325 last - also with storm welt but slightly sleeker last. https://www.bodileys.com/product/bodileys-stanhope-chelsea-boot-dark-brown-suede/

Pics of both below:

View attachment 2198965

View attachment 2198967

Chelsea 5 and 8 both very nice too, though 8 is definitely sleeker/smarter. For me I would wear the 8 out for dinner or to a smart function but 11 can do day, travel, work and evening duties.
Beautiful boots, thanks for the reply.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowanmateo648