• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Fenners81

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not allowed, I didn't see a thread about general Northampton shoes so I wanted to ask here because there are many people here who are knowledgeable about British shoes in this thread.

Does anyone know about a brand called "New Avenue" shoes/boots from England? A seller near me is selling this and I'm interested in buying it, it looks quite classic and well-built, a google search only shows a few ads from the 50s and they appear to be from Northampton. Any information is appreciated.

View attachment 2136105 View attachment 2136107
They look very cool. Never heard of the maker. Not sure what's going on with the heel stack though - either it's a strange design or about to fall off. This is the Crockett thread but all shoe fans at the end of the day.

Satoman1

Reaction score
They look very cool. Never heard of the maker. Not sure what's going on with the heel stack though - either it's a strange design or about to fall off. This is the Crockett thread but all shoe fans at the end of the day.
Thank you, I think they are from the 5-70s so the separation of the leather layers on the heels is quite normal and often seen on vintage shoes.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not allowed, I didn't see a thread about general Northampton shoes so I wanted to ask here because there are many people here who are knowledgeable about British shoes in this thread.

Does anyone know about a brand called "New Avenue" shoes/boots from England? A seller near me is selling this and I'm interested in buying it, it looks quite classic and well-built, a google search only shows a few ads from the 50s and they appear to be from Northampton. Any information is appreciated.

View attachment 2136105 View attachment 2136107

I believe they were a product line manufactured by E.C. Gravestock Ltd of Avenue Works Kettering

1000053448.jpg

Fenners81

Reaction score
Looking at some Crockett bluchers in cordovan. They're 2nd hand but unworn. I've not bought any shell before so hoped for some advice. There are a couple of potential red flags but I wondered if this was just typical if shell. Please see mark on leather and strange blue discharge/residue around eyelets.

1708660573849.png

1708660600745.png

lurker33

Reaction score
Looking at some Crockett bluchers in cordovan. They're 2nd hand but unworn. I've not bought any shell before so hoped for some advice. There are a couple of potential red flags but I wondered if this was just typical if shell. Please see mark on leather and strange blue discharge/residue around eyelets.

View attachment 2137091
View attachment 2137093
The scratch doesn't seem like a big deal to me in the picture, i don't think its cracking? Might want to ask for a better pic.
The green in the brass eyelets is just oxidation, it happens and its not corrosion. I never had it happened so i haven't had to deal with it, but googling around a bit, it sounds easy to remove with household items.

Marmite89

Reaction score
I have seen that oxidation before. The fix is normal wear. Mine was on the Cardigan shoes that I posted the picture of in the last week or so. I just wore them and brushed/cared for them as usual.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I have seen that oxidation before. The fix is normal wear. Mine was on the Cardigan shoes that I posted the picture of in the last week or so. I just wore them and brushed/cared for them as usual.
That's reassuring. Just need to decide on whether to go for it now. Torn between these cordovan bluchers and some standard pembrokes...

lurker33

Reaction score
It's 2in taller than a Galway, but looking a little too EG is not exactly a bad thing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 79 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 82 37.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads