• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Molton in black from Bodiley's, my left foot is quite dumb.

IMG_2608.jpeg
IMG_2607.jpeg

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had my way there would be no suit at all, but if must wear one, I'd rather not make a tit of myself!
I personally think the Pembrokes are very sharp. Personally, I’ve worn Stows with a suit and not felt out of place. The C&J shapes tend to be even smarter I feel. Traditionalists may scoff, sure, but then again some creativity never goes amiss surely…

Me in Sign Kudu Stows for some function or the other…

IMG_2135.jpeg

Fenners81

Reaction score
I personally think the Pembrokes are very sharp. Personally, I’ve worn Stows with a suit and not felt out of place. The C&J shapes tend to be even smarter I feel. Traditionalists may scoff, sure, but then again some creativity never goes amiss surely…

View attachment 2133579
I'd say you're pulling that off.

Gomers

Reaction score
Any photos please
IMG_1278.jpeg

These have had one application of Teinture 05. I’ll probably do them again at some point but will just clean with dark brown cream for a while.

Yes, I’m aware one appears slightly darker than the other and I will sort that but I quite like the ‘affected patina’ effect that they’re displaying. Remember, these were brand new unworn when I coloured them and have only been worn once since.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 142

Denar78

Reaction score
If I had my way there would be no suit at all, but if must wear one, I'd rather not make a tit of myself!
If you’re not a fan of dress shoes (I presume formal black oxfords) you could also consider dark brown suede options such as Westbourne or Hardwick. Those would work fine with a gray suit but probably not with navy blue.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2133579

@Mr_Spud mentions traditionalists might scoff at the idea of Pembrokes being worn with suits. I would agree with that comment, because I wouldn't wear them with suits but there is a caveat to that. Soooo, I'm half a traditionalist 🤷🏻‍♂️.

When the suit clashes stylistically with the shoe, that's when you could come off as a "tit". The Pembroke, whilst not as robust as an Alden SWB or LWB, is more aggressive than a formal shoe. So if you have this slim fitting 9oz to 11oz worsted suit, the Pembrokes would stand out. They'd look from exceptionally large to just plain 'ol disharmonious settled under that kind of suit.

A thicker wool suit and/or something that has visual body to it (ie covert, flannel, tweed), and you should be fine with Pembrokes.

Fenners81

Reaction score
@Mr_Spud mentions traditionalists might scoff at the idea of Pembrokes being worn with suits. I would agree with that comment, because I wouldn't wear them with suits but there is a caveat to that. Soooo, I'm half a traditionalist 🤷🏻‍♂️.

When the suit clashes stylistically with the shoe, that's when you could come off as a "tit". The Pembroke, whilst not as robust as an Alden SWB or LWB, is more aggressive than a formal shoe. So if you have this slim fitting 9oz to 11oz worsted suit, the Pembrokes would stand out. They'd look from exceptionally large to just plain 'ol disharmonious settled under that kind of suit.

A thicker wool suit and/or something that has visual body to it (ie covert, flannel, tweed), and you should be fine with Pembrokes.
It was going to be with a light linen suit in the summer so I'm guessing that's a no from your point of view.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was going to be with a light linen suit in the summer so I'm guessing that's a no from your point of view.

Unless it was a summer tweed (DieWorkWear's for instance) or something similar, the shoes might be out of place. Thinking a light airy material paired with heavier fall/winter footwear seems incongruent.

As you mentioned though, that's from my pov. Opinions do and will vary.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Unless it was a summer tweed (DieWorkWear's for instance) or something similar, the shoes might be out of place. Thinking a light airy material paired with heavier fall/winter footwear seems incongruent.

As you mentioned though, that's from my pov. Opinions do and will vary.
Incongruous is my middle name. I'm a pretty average dresser at the best of times! Thanks for the advice though - for the record, I have no idea what DieWorkWear is.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incongruous is my middle name. I'm a pretty average dresser at the best of times! Thanks for the advice though - for the record, I have no idea what DieWorkWear is.

That should provide some info, as well as, what the material I'm referring to looks like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 74 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 74 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 34 16.9%

Forum statistics

Threads