1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Oh, you'll have some fun with some of the combos now available - I picked up several pairs of different length so both my boots and chukkas can be livened up a little as the fancy takes me...

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone know if there are stores in North America? Would like a decent return policy is sizing ends up wrong.

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Barneys stocked it last season, not many US retailers stock that much C&J. Maybe a J. Crew store?

4. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

C&J has a store in NY. Sky Valet in DC alo has a good selection.

5. zaxer

zaxer Active Member

Any recent visit to the factory store in Northampton? Whenever I ask about It on the C&J Jermyn St store the manager tells me that the trip is not worth It.

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Phone order then? Will give theNY store a ring. Ty

7. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Sky Valet is very good. Prices are higher than from England, but they carry stock, and those in the area can try on shoes, which is worth the added cost to me.

8. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

You can also compare C&J and EG side-by-side, which is fun and instructive if nothing else.

9. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

About a year ago...didn't buy anything, but there was stuff to be had although nothing I liked in my size. Would have been good if I wore loafers or oxfords more, but I'm more of a boot and derby man.

Definitely worth it if you plan it properly and also fit in visits to Tricker's, Cheaney, Church's, EG and Lobb. If nothing else, it's a day out.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  10. azumi

azumi Senior member

Is that store ready to deliver those C&J shoes? I heard that some C&J models are not available in stock then their customers have to wait about a few weeks, may be more than 2 months. For example, Pediwear and Shoesnorthampton said that.

11. zaxer

zaxer Active Member

What were the prices like at C&J and EG?

Is It worth the trip even for a popular size like 8.5UK?

Thanks for the info!

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Try both shoes in store to answer the questions yourself.

The underlying principle is to buy the best you can afford, not necessary the best in the market.

13. zaxer

zaxer Active Member

To answer which question myself? Do you know what are we talking about?

WTF?

14. Viral

Viral Senior member

FYI, if anyone is interested, I just listed a brand new pair of dark brown Hallam in sz 7UK in the B&S.

Asking $415 shipped CONUS.

15. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Going to Crocketts factory shop was definitely not worth it...I was there a couple of times last year on a Saturday.
    Didn't buy anything - many seasonal colour stuff and boots.

I understand the shop is also open on Friday afternoon, so any good stock is already snapped up by ebay merchants/proxies or been reserved for
    regulars by the C&J's people....

John Lobb factory is just as bad....nowadays the Rejects are selling from £500 to £650...with plain box and no trees.
    it's hardly 20% saving from Jermyn street.

EG, bloody appointments only.

I don't touch Trickers; Church's or Cheanys so can't comment.

16. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

I think he does....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Rainy day: [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

After a thorough cleaning, um, a few thorough cleanings, my shoes look great again!

[​IMG]

The left one kept giving me trouble just above the toe, about the creases - it would get darkened and rough and dull and be unconditionable on application of cream. I'm still not sure what happened, I think it might've been wet and not having dried out completely. What eventually solved the issue was saddle soaping all cream and polish away, letting it dry out with a shoe tree for two days, brushing on a thin layer of cream, waiting a few hours, brushing the excess away, brushing another layer on, brushing away, and repeating once more, finally polishing with a very small amount of dried-out wax. Conditioning them was completely different this time.

I think moisture was the issue somehow - the area of problem seemed to spread. The creases are probably very porous and let in moisture very easily.

Anyway, I then walked in them, brushed them off, walked in them some more, brushed some cream into the creases, brushed off, and did a super light, almost unecessary spit shine. And here they are.

On a side note: I wore them a few hours each day for three days. After that I got a quite painful inflammation in my big toe joint, just as if I had gout. I never experienced them as putting much pressure there, though, certainly not more than what you'd expect from new shoes.

Anyone had anything similar happen? It really caught me off-guard - I'm a bit more fragile than most as I suffer from Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, but on the other hand I'm very used to pain - this was bad enough that I had serious trouble walking. Felt like a super-tender bruise inside the toe joint.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  19. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

[​IMG]

Whew after a month of waiting, I finally received my C&J Harrys aka Islay in a wider last. I was worried they'd be too wide as they are an F fitting but thankfully they fit perfectly.

Time to throw some conditioner on them. I can't wait for winter.

20. meister

meister Senior member

F is a regular fitting for normal people (aka Aussies, Brits Euros et al) and is half way/a tad between the US "D" normal (aka abnormal) and US "E".

Last edited: May 1, 2013