• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gustaf

Reaction score
Similar to @jischwar, I use my normal CJ size for a good fit in the Harvard 2. Also like him, I don't own the Boston but do (or did) own the Harvard on the 314.

During the initial wears for the 314 last, I had an okay fit. I guess due to stretching within the heel area it did not fit as well with usage. With the Harvard 2, I've yet to experience that, and have owned and used it for probably 4 years.
Same experience. 314 lasted Harvard's were a bust for me, but Harvard 2 are one of my top loafers. StC classic last loafers are also great for me

Thanks gents, this is very helpful. I actually sized down half a size for my first and so far only pair of Bostons, to avoid heel slippage. I did avoid it but ended up too tight in the front instead, as well as a little too close for comfort in the heel. They have improved over time, but I should probably try to get them stretched for that final bit of give. Will get my normal size next time. Even so, I wasn’t sure how much difference the lack of lining would make with the Harvard. Can’t wait to try them on!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents, this is very helpful. I actually sized down half a size for my first and so far only pair of Bostons, to avoid heel slippage. I did avoid it but ended up too tight in the front instead, as well as a little too close for comfort in the heel. They have improved over time, but I should probably try to get them stretched for that final bit of give. Will get my normal size next time. Even so, I wasn’t sure how much difference the lack of lining would make with the Harvard. Can’t wait to try them on!
Ime, unlined vs lined doesn't make a large enough difference to change sizes

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..step on my blue suede shoes
AFD3669C-1C0C-4EF1-941D-6B83D7367C14.jpeg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Islays made to be worn.
20221211_122925.jpg

Last edited:

Style989

Reaction score
So turns out the grizedale is not the only big boot CJ hardly has any of stock of. Islay (barring teak), snowdon and a few others are all out of stock except size 6 or 6.5UK. I don't really need another boot but the weather has compelled me.
I wonder what's up with CJ's production. Is it a material shortage? Can't be that they're phasing out all these boots surely?

Style989

Reaction score
Speaking of boots, traction is horrendous on dainite in the snow, unless it's really fresh. I'm thinking of sending them to the factory to switch to commando or ridgeway even though I've worn them less than 10 times

shoefan57

Reaction score
So turns out the grizedale is not the only big boot CJ hardly has any of stock of. Islay (barring teak), snowdon and a few others are all out of stock except size 6 or 6.5UK. I don't really need another boot but the weather has compelled me.
I wonder what's up with CJ's production. Is it a material shortage? Can't be that they're phasing out all these boots surely?
If you decide to contact C&J please let us know what they say.

Style989

Reaction score
If you decide to contact C&J please let us know what they say.

I emailed them. I asked about grizedale as I have a thing for rough out. They'll have a restock in Feb. I would assume the same for the other models.

If anyone's interested in a rough out suede Islay, I have a proposal on the MTO thread. We're up to 5 out of the 12 needed for reduced fees.

NewGen

Reaction score
Question regarding Boston Loafers. UK8 is snug on me in the forefood but good lengthwise and UK8.5 sits perfect in the forefood but has a very light heel slippage in very thin socks. Will the leather/sole stretch and break in much? In oxfords I need the UK8.5 space, but can lace them up so the fit is right, but in these loafers without lacing its just a bit loose in the back. Would you recommend UK8 or UK8.5?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding Boston Loafers. UK8 is snug on me in the forefood but good lengthwise and UK8.5 sits perfect in the forefood but has a very light heel slippage in very thin socks. Will the leather/sole stretch and break in much? In oxfords I need the UK8.5 space, but can lace them up so the fit is right, but in these loafers without lacing its just a bit loose in the back. Would you recommend UK8 or UK8.5?

The easiest answer is the one that isn't an option..MTM.

The real option then.
I'm a proponent of fit (ease of movement) in the forefoot. Your toes should rest relatively free and easy. Based on my fit preference and your fit description, I suggest the 8.5uk. You can pick up a half sock for the back of the shoe or a tongue pad to keep things secure since there's only "very light heel slippage".

If you ever decide to use a thicker sock with the 8.5uk, you would have almost no heel slip. The front of the shoe will still continue to feel good. Such an option will not exist with the 8uk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics