• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call Alden “great.” I wouldn’t call Alden “good”, either. They’re serviceable, at best. Nothing more.
They definitely fit a niche, as @jischwar mentioned, and the Indy boot, specifically, is an Icon. I'd have to think their longevity, and their dedicated fan base should elevate them to great status.

I've had my Indys for going on 18 years and they have been nothing short of fantastic. Of course, their newer offerings may not be up to snuff but the older stuff is great.

I wish they made great boots. My success rate with Alden QC has been about 10-15%. The others, in my worthless opinion, should have all been factory seconds or scrapped entirely. In contrast my experience with Tricker's qc has been about 90% good. I think I would consider C&J above Tricker's, but since I am not in the business of collecting more boots than I need anymore I don't have enough personal experience to say with certainty.
As mentioned above, I mostly speak on my experience with owning Alden's older models. Aside from the Chromexcel Indys, I own their shell LWBs, SWBs, straight tip captoe derbies. They have been durable, versatile, and I have been pleased with the QC.

To note, none of my Aldens are less than 15 years old.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of brand new Aldens come apart at a stress point of stitching that never should have failed on the first wear. I was horrified and swore off the brand for life. C&J and EG are largely what I go for now.
CJ and EG are levels above though, specifically EG. Not that that is an excuse for a stitching to come apart, I'm just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the heel stitching, it’s a detail I appreciate and the last looks a bit more refined than the Van last.
Yes as I mentioned, the Harvard looks (imo) better than the LHS. That would include the complete finished product.

Not only that but majority of their lineup is on the barrie last. It’s tough finding nice makeups on the Grant, Hampton or trubalance. Everything is mostly barrie which is an odd fitting last in my experience.
I guess that's what those collaborations with retailers is for. The usage of their full lineup of lasts. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If I recall correctly, the Madison folks many years ago stated their best fitting and selling last is the Barrie, so makes sense that last would be used extensively.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, Alden is a shell cordovan company. They are known for their shell cordovan shoes/boots. That's their specialty. That and the Indy Boot. You go to Alden if you want either of those two things. If you want something in calf or suede, I see no real reason to go to Alden as they aren't that great for those offerings.

Contrariwise, I think of Crockett and Jones as a more varied shoe maker. I personally like C&J's country offerings, but their dress shoe offerings are really nice, too. They have a wide variety of calf and suede options I'd consider smart choices and their quality is at least as high as Alden, if not better (I think better, but not by a gigantic amount).

That being said, no real reason to buy their shell offerings, as shell is the same material regardless of the maker, and C&J's shell prices are uncompetitive compared to the American makers.
Definitely that is what they are known for.. Shell.

The main reason for purchasing from them would be a favorable price and exclusivity.
They are cheaper than CJ, EG, and others.
Additionally, their version of Horween's Color 8 is the de facto version most other tanneries tend to emulate (as told to me by Shinki, Clayton ((when they were around)) and Rocado).
Now, if everyone likes that version of Color 8 is something else entirely, but you couldn't find that color of shell elsewhere by any maker, same with Ravello. You want those skins you've got to go to Alden for it.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I'm here applauding Alden (on the CJ thread) when I should be emphasizing their essence. At least, the essence of a capable American last or aesthetic.

The Barrie last, while popular, needs refinement in order to compete with the likes of CJ or even EG. It looks bulbous and dated. The maker I referenced earlier who does such a thing, adds élégance to Alden, is Bespoke maker Seiji Mccarthy.

Here are a few pictures, I think, that are reflective of that American styling produced with a touch of panaché.

20221130_103742.jpg
Screenshot_20221019-102840_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-223715_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-230822_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-225105_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-225016_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-230617_Instagram.jpg
20221130_103732.jpg

Now, this style may not appeal to everyone but this offering is HW, HL, equal leather quality (or better depending on skin usage) to EG yet cheaper than them currently, and American made. 😎

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I'm here applauding Alden (on the CJ thread) when I should be emphasizing their essence. At least, the essence of a capable American last or aesthetic.

The Barrie last, while popular, needs refinement in order to compete with the likes of CJ or even EG. It looks bulbous and dated. The maker I referenced earlier who does such a thing, adds élégance to Alden, is Bespoke maker Seiji Mccarthy.

Here are a few pictures, I think, that are reflective of that American styling produced with a touch of panaché.

View attachment 1862694 View attachment 1862695 View attachment 1862697 View attachment 1862698 View attachment 1862699 View attachment 1862700 View attachment 1862701 View attachment 1862702

Now, this style may not appeal to everyone but this offering is HW, HL, equal leather quality (or better depending on skin usage) to EG yet cheaper than them currently, and American made. 😎
Wait, McCarthy sells for less than EG?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****. I gotta check this dude out.
IMO, nothing made in Northhampton RTW or MTO (by non-Bespoke folks) touches his product. Then again, I love that American refined aesthetic, so openly bias.

Actually, with the price increase and the Yen increasing in value they would be $1534 or 210,000 yen. Should still place them below EG (in certain styles). Let's not forget though that these are the true gold standard in construction.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1862694 View attachment 1862695 View attachment 1862697 View attachment 1862698 View attachment 1862699 View attachment 1862700 View attachment 1862701 View attachment 1862702

Now THAT is hot stuff.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very beautiful. I'm not a fan of full strap loafers nor split toes, but these are very nice, especially the chukka.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very beautiful. I'm not a fan of full strap loafers nor split toes, but these are very nice, especially the chukka.
He's got other styles. Different oxfords and derbies that should appeal to many that like that sort of American aesthetic. I just don't have IG so I rely on what my people send me. They happen to send me what styles I like.

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass

Votes: 15 21.1%