1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Robstrongo

Robstrongo Senior member

Yes, they are closer to being on par with C&J Handgrade (just a hair below IMHO). Not sure where you are seeing them for a lot cheaper than C&J Benchgrade, they retail at around £400 in the UK and start at around $725 in the US.

2. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Anyone know how the Alfred Sargent Montague boot (AS 98 last) compares to the C&J Coniston boot (325 last)?

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

From my experience, owning numerous shoes from these various lines, compared to BG, AS Exclusive has better leather uppers, more detail on the sole (i.e., beveled edge), closed channeled soles, and softer lining. Definitely much better than the BG; the AS Exclusive is much more comparable to the HG line.

I do like the look and almost jumped on a pair of those (or something that look like them) some time ago but hessitated because I also wanted to get a suede chukka and felt they would be too similar (heh, this logic never worked for cutting down shoes)...

4. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Can someone please tell me the name of the leather and the type of grade (Hand, Bench, if any) used in Northcote and in Conistons. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. Mike Ross

Mike Ross Active Member

The Northcote is benchgrade and I believe the leather is waxed leather. I have a pair, and they're great boots.

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The Coniston boots are bench grade and made from scotch grain leather although I am sure I have seen calf versions as well.

7. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^They do a calf version for Purdey, linked in my post somewhere above.

8. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

question for the group, anyone notice the new logo adjacent to the hand-grade shoes? is it just marketing? arent they all made in England?

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks for positng

10. skeptic

skeptic Well-Known Member

All are made in England, but the handgrades to a higher standard: oak bark soles, finer leathers (haven't verified this myself), closed-channeled soles.

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I've felt the suede on a Belgrave (hand grade) and a Westfield (bench grade) at the same time and the material used for the hand grade shoe felt noticably finer. I think it's a little closer with the calf leathers - just my opinion.

12. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

That heel looks awful.

13. Alan K C

Alan K C Well-Known Member

The CJ NY store carry the Skype 2 in dark brown cordovan but sold out most of the sizes. My size is out of stock. They are currently "in production" according to the store.

14. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

That medallions ins't the Loake brogue medallion?

BTW C&J made longwing style also for BBBF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ the bottom pair is made by AS. you can even see the markings on the inner heel

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. Alan K C

Recently, I bought a pair of CJ Benchgrade Pembroke and AS Exclusive Hunt. The CJ Benchgrade is not as good as AS Exclusive. The AS looks great. The CJ Pembroke with box stamped October 25 2012; the right shoe's outer flap didn't look very good, it look slightly larger, bad under trimming and closing? I took some pictures today to show the issues I have with CJ Benchgrade...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a similar issue with a pair of CJ Benchgrade Coniston with box stamped November 01 2012. Again, it is the right outer flap. It does not line up evenly, especially after I laced it up. As a comparison, I just purchased a pair of CJ Islay from Barneys NY last weekend. All four flaps are fine. There is no date stamp on Islay's box, I think it is covered by Barneys tag, but I am sure they were made recently due to the fact that Barneys just got them back in stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, what do I know... I still love CJ, can't wait to get another pair...

17. Alan K C

The Northcote is Benchgrade with dark brown wax calf. The Conistons is also Benchgrade with tan scotch country grain leather. But Conistons has a slight antiqued finish, which I love. CJ NY has them, you can check them out in person.

18. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

And those BBBF two tone longwings were made by Grenson.
    I've got a pair of them.

19. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

20. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Thank you guys very much. I have Northcotes in my possession right now, and used to have Conistons, before they were stolen. I order them online from UK. Sans VAT deals are usually good.