** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hanskl

hanskl Senior member

Those are incredibly beautiful! I have thought about buying the RL Lindricks boot for a while, but a dainite sole would suit my needs much better. I also prefer the look of no eyelets. [​IMG]

2. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Those are beautiful!. I don't see why you wouldn't wear them with a suit... I think they would look awesome with a suit.

3. Jakezero

Jakezero Senior member

Thank you, I was also thinking about buying the Lindricks, but dainite and speed lacers seemed more practical to me.

Thank you. The suit thing is more of a personal preference I guess, there aren't all that many situations where it would be appropriate for me to wear a suit (University student), and when I do wear a suit I tend to go for something with a sleeker last. They would look great with a tweed three-piece though.

On another note, the tongue is in fact the same colour, it's just a trick of the light. I think I've read about the shell colour phenomenon somewhere on this forum before.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Had the first chance to try on several pairs/lasts of well made shoes yesterday.
    Decided to go for C&J as the store offered quite a big range of them and a lot of people around here are familiar with them.

Hallam/348 in UK6.5E was very long and pointy, most likely too much for my liking, will give it a second chance though.
    Audley/337 in UK6.5E felt good with the same amount of noticable support all around the foot, still looks quite long and pointy, at least paired with the small leg opening of the APC NS I wore.
    Connaught/236 in UK6E definitely looked the most conservative, least fashionable, a great thing for a plain captoe to do. Not sure about the fit though, as I felt I had a bit too much spare room around the ball and toes and am afraid it might result in very deep and ugly wrinkles. At the same time Connaught wore the most comfortable because the shoes just hovered around my feet and thus felt significant lighter and almost non existent.

On all three pairs the lacing seemed fine, slightly on the closed side but enough space left to account for stretching of the leather without making it completely closed. I thus think I have a low/normal instep.
    I had a tiny bit of heel slippage on all three pairs, as well as on a pair of UK6E on the 337 last, which was just too narrow around the ball, so I think I just have a quite narrow heel and am not used to wearing dress shoes compared to the Rancourt Ranger Mocs that are my daily beaters.

Which other styles/lasts should I have a look at?
    Besides C&J I have the chance to try on shoes of John Lobb, Santoni and AE, but to be honest am interested price- and stylewise more into C&J, Carmina, Meermin and Vass.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have C&J's on the following lasts (some more than one): 317, 236; 324; 341; 240. All fit me TTS - UK8.5E (I am US9.5D). FWIW - The Connaught in black calf, while perhaps a bit boring, is a nice staple shoe, and very comfortable.

6. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Senior member

I'm considering ordering a pair of 'Westbourne' from EdwardsofManchester. They seem to have them in all sizes. Is this what they actually have in stock or would they back order? Has anyone had experience with EoM?

7. jmills

jmills Senior member

I was looking at C&J from Edwards, and they didn't have much stock in my size. I was quoted about 7 weeks until they get more stock, and told that they'd probably sell out as soon more arrive, due to the popularity of C&J. So simply waiting for them to get more is not enough. You have to put your order through, and they will charge you straight away, not when the shoes are ready... and as far as I know, this is for general re-stocking, not special order from manufacturer.

Their customer service is okay, not excellent nor terrible.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice.

The different color tongue is a bit different, but a very nice looking boot for sure.

I just ordered the Lindrick myself.

I hope to have those sometime next week.

9. razl

razl Senior member

Just wanted to say that I'm finally joining the big boy's shoe club. I just ordered a pair of C&J Brunswick in Dark brown Antique Calf from Robert Old and am already on pins and needles waiting for them. I'm going leaving town in 10 days and didn't want to miss 'em, so I coughed up to express ship them. Still, it's going to be a long week pining...

[​IMG]

So far in my SF apprenticeship I've added Alden, Sutor, and C&J for RL (Lindrick, Marlow, and loafer), and some others, but this is going to be a whole 'nother altitude.

ps - after studying and agonizing on sizing for the last, I went with a 9.5UK for my US10.5+ feet (a touch wide in the right foot, and both are a touch longer than most). We shall see...

10. jmills

jmills Senior member

I've got some C&J HGs coming from Old too. [​IMG]

They didn't send them out Friday, so I'm hoping they go on Monday. I can't wait. [​IMG]

11. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Think yourselves lucky - I've a wait of six to eight weeks for some MTO Snowdons! Still, better than ordering from Edward Green or Alfred Sargent, by a long shot...

Found out some interesting stuff whilst deciding on what to use for the make-up of the boot.

Firstly, C&J won't use shell to make a veldtschoen boot as it bruises too easily for that construction method. I could have had a normal welted boot made on the Snowdon pattern, but a storm welt isn't the best option for walking through snow or a damp field although it's far from being a poor choice.

Secondly, and possibly more surprisingly, C&J don't recommend using shell for a poor-weather boot as it needs more upkeep after exposure to wet weather than the usual waxy and/or grained calf normally used by English shoemakers for 'country' footwear. They don't doubt that it's extremely durable and robust, but specifically advised that it wasn't the best choice for a boot that was going to be used in wet weather.

And this came from the factory...

12. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

It's beyond me how or indeed why one can put up with such a long delivery time for a humble pair of cj. As a frequent customer couldn't they do you a favour?

13. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Saw this in the shop window the other day. Has anyone kopped?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

Westbournes are fairly common and avaiable. I ordered two pairs from them and they were in stock. Delivered within 10 days.

15. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Limited production capacity; but they are far ahead of the competition.