• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just email their customer service and they'll ship you some. They are lasted so make sure you let them know that
It took a while but they indeed shipped them to me. The wait was because they had to cut them for me first. I thought they would be a stock item, but apparently they make them on the fly. Great service!

20211102_121056.jpg

newtboots123

Reaction score
My RO Conistons have become more comfortable with break-in, maybe 30 wears now, and are an all day boot, no problem. But it's a pretty stiff boot in general, especially the toe box. If anything, I have heard that the scotch grain is stiffer than the RO, but I don't have experience with the grain - just my beloved Black Editions. Of course there is the whole issue of whether you have a good fit.

Thanks for the reply - v/ useful. Hopefully mine continue to loosen up with time. In fairness I did just wear them 3 days straight for a weekend away with lots of walking / bars etc. and my feet survived, just felt pretty sore at the end. I think the fit is fine, just continues to feel a little stiff.

One more question - how much have your boots lightened up vs when your first bought them? Mine were quite dark for example compared to the pair the store had on display, so I'm not sure if mine will become a lighter colour with wear/exposure to light or if I just got a 'dark' pair from the factory.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
The Grizedales - first day inauguration…
View attachment 1697092 View attachment 1697093
…about as comfy as a first day in a full boot RO could be :)

I took my usual size, it’s a roomy boot, can easily accommodate a thick sock…
Thanks for the reply - v/ useful. Hopefully mine continue to loosen up with time. In fairness I did just wear them 3 days straight for a weekend away with lots of walking / bars etc. and my feet survived, just felt pretty sore at the end. I think the fit is fine, just continues to feel a little stiff.

One more question - how much have your boots lightened up vs when your first bought them? Mine were quite dark for example compared to the pair the store had on display, so I'm not sure if mine will become a lighter colour with wear/exposure to light or if I just got a 'dark' pair from the factory.

R/O at work day, in this case Moltons. Probably my 4th full day in these - very comfortable indeed. Yes @newtboots123 the brown R/O is going to lighten up with time. On the other hand, my black R/O Conistons are still....black. But developing a bit of low nap in some spots as some of the wax wears off.

1635970026548.jpeg

Eddie_sp

Reaction score
Hi all. Last month I bought my first pair of CJ Conistons in rough out suede. I wore them maybe 3 or 4 times. But today I realized this crack on the back of one shoe. I need to ask the professionals: is this something to worry about? Will it crack further? Shall I try to fix it? Its not visible while wearing because its higher up there.

Attachments

• 20211106_122139.jpg
    20211106_122139.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20211106_122007.jpg
    20211106_122007.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 151

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Hi all. Last month I bought my first pair of CJ Conistons in rough out suede. I wore them maybe 3 or 4 times. But today I realized this crack on the back of one shoe. I need to ask the professionals: is this something to worry about? Will it crack further? Shall I try to fix it? Its not visible while wearing because its higher up there.

I am not sure there is any fixing that. How deep do the cracks run? Are they just superficial? Although it doesnt look like anything that will affect the structural integrity of the boot (it doesnt go all the way through, right?), I would contact the seller to discuss an exchange - provided these are not just simple surface scratches. Are you sure you didnt damage the boot sitting in a chair with the some sharp edge or anything? The underside of my office chair is a lethal weapon if I am not careful.

Eddie_sp

Reaction score
Its just the upper and not the lining. I cant rule the chair out. Hmm. Bummer. If they werent that expensive I wouldnt care but it bothers me a bit. And I dont know the chances that I can exvhange them.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’m struggling to see much on the images? Rough out will superficially crack as it dries/wears in?

Eddie_sp

Reaction score
Could it be that the leather is too dry? The whole are of the crack is kind off brittle.
Or it is wear in related.
Heres another one with flash.

Attachments

• 20211106_174602.jpg
    20211106_174602.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Eddie_sp

Reaction score
I tried 3 different CJ lasts in the shop I ordered my Conistons. Not the 325 of the Conistons though. 7 UK fit of these lasts was perfect. 6.5 too small. So I ordered the Conistons in 7uk and they are roomy. Thick socks will fit. But I wish I went for 0.5 size down.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I soothed my pain from Wales coming up short today by pulling the trigger on some Moltons from Bodiley's. Come to Butthead, baby.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads