1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

What's the difference between Islay and Ludlow?

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents,
    Just need your advice. I have just purchased crockett & jones sydney snuff suede in UK 7F. My standard size is UK7.5F for c&j. I could get the UK7.5 but they have a bit of heel slip. I thought the suede would also stretch a little bit more than calf.
    Now they are a little bit tight on my left pinky toe. Just a tiny bit(when wearing thin socks). Otherwise the fit is really good. Without socks they are just right. The right shoes fits well with or with-out socks.Have I made the right choice going for 1/2 smaller on them ? Anyone who own this pair could you please comment how much they could stretch after 5-10 wears.
    Also I have just stuffed a little bit of rolled paper inside the shoe where its a bit tight and then inserted the shoe tree. In an attempt to spot stretch.
    Thanks in advance.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Ludlow is on the 348 I think whereas the Islay is in the 365 (which is more generous). The Ludlow is a dressier version which are good for next week's snow

4. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

I don´t own that shoe but all my suede shoes have stretched quite a bit so i think you made the right thing by sizing down. I want my loafers to be really tight when thay are new.

5. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Thanks for the recs, gentlemen!

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thank you

7. SoHighSoFly

SoHighSoFly New Member

These are a dandy right here! How/where were you able to run into a pair of these??

8. S K M

S K M Senior member

I own one pair of exactly that model, and I think you made the right choice. I wear a 9E (lacking a F-width), and I went for the Sydney snuff suede in 9E as well. Since I have quite wide feet I didn't consider sizing down, but I since I've broken them in I've experienced quite some heel slipping, at least when I wear them bare foot. The width of my feet holds me from sizing down, but if your feet are normal width I would definitely recommend sizing down by half a size.

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Thank you for your informative reply. I wish c&j had F-width in their Sydney model. I guess now I will have go through that painful break in process .

10. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

good move but the c&j cordovan is never going to be super shiny like Alden shell. :slayer: I prefer the more matted c&j cordovan
    appearance.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I agree with the first sentence.
    I disagree with the second sentence. :)

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

X2

But I still like them quite a bit regardless.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I see them on ebay occaisonally. If you want black or brown you can also pick them up from Brooks Brothers.

14. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

C&J shoes size 7UK. Throw me a pm, will buy if I like the shoes.

15. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior member

Hi all of the experience users in this group. I'd like to share my experience in the C&J shoe wear. My previously engagement was mostly with Alden and Allen Edmonds but I decided to pursue on the British shoe making direction so I placed an order of my first pair of C&J shoe from Bodileys on Sep. To make it short, it was a pair of Malton (last 360), but due to some minor quality issue I returned the shoe to Bodileys and replaced (paid up the difference) for a pair of dark brown Audley (big change in style). Sarah of Bodileys has been very helpful despite of the long wait on the production. The only drawback is ... the Audley was charged higher in Bodileys than that of other E-stores/E-retailers...which I didn't realize until later. :mad:

But what's done is already done so ......

I am expecting my pair of Audley..hopefully it is worth every penny spent.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

The difference in price is most-likely because you went from a bench-made shoe to a hand-grade shoe. The latter uses finer leathers and construction, but comes with a premium price. Are the other e-retailers charging prices closer to bench-made ones?

17. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

You can buy directly from C&J in the UK (or, if you are in the US from the store in NYC, respectivelly), good service, wider selection and availability, and lower prices.

18. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

duplicate

19. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

In the US, the prices at the NYC store can be quite a bit more than Bodileys and Pediwear.

20. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior member

Sorry I should have mentioned more clearly earlier. I understand the price jump from bench grade to hand grade, but I meant the retail price (including shipping) for Audley from Bodileys is higher than that of other E-stores.