• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I don't like rough out leather on the Coniston. But I think they will be very comfortable and easier to brake in than Scotch Grain. Do like the vibram sole very much though. When needed I will replace my standard soles either with vibram, commando or ridgeway.
I think the black one looks nice. It’s quite heavy duty. But I am generally more into dressier stuff anyways. CJ Scotchgrain is top notch.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the black one looks nice. It’s quite heavy duty. But I am generally more into dressier stuff anyways. CJ Scotchgrain is top notch.
This is the conundrum I face. I have the tan grain and brown roughout and now I wonder whether I should just get the entire set. ??‍♂️?

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm looking for a bit of sizing help with C&J. Here are a few comparable sizes I wear:

Cheaney 10.5F 125 Last
Carmina 10.5F RAIN and FOREST Lasts
Allen Edmonds 11D 65 Last

I'm concerned about the sizing for C&J, because they usually run an E width, but I'm not sure if it's a true E width. My only experience with E widths are the Carmina EUTAM last and the Meermin HIRO last, and both are a bit tight on the toes. Are C&Js an option for me, or should I stick with other brands that I already know? Thanks in advance!
Hi, all. Just re-upping this. I emailed C&J with my measurements from their sizing guide, and they told me I was an 11.5E. That seems odd considering my other shoes. Can anyone offer some insight into this? Thanks!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Just re-upping this. I emailed C&J with my measurements from their sizing guide, and they told me I was an 11.5E. That seems odd considering my other shoes. Can anyone offer some insight into this? Thanks!
For the love of baby Jesus, if anyone outside bespoke or MTM tells you measurements will give you sizing run away.

I wear the same size in my cheaney as most CJ lasts. Size down half for the islay.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
This is the conundrum I face. I have the tan grain and brown roughout and now I wonder whether I should just get the entire set. ??‍♂️?
Yes.

Also have a couple of Conistons, and by far my favorite is the dark brown country grain - if you like the other colorways, you’ll love the pebbled grain (and whatever other leather catches your fancy)!

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Also have a couple of Conistons, and by far my favorite is the dark brown country grain - if you like the other colorways, you’ll love the pebbled grain (and whatever other leather catches your fancy)!
He we yeah I started off with a second hand tan coni because I wasn’t sure about how the shapes would suit my general style which is very casual.

Lightning struck.

Then brown rough out because I got pissed off that C&J sold out the brown version on the vibram sole which would have been my ideal.

May just keep it simple and get the dark brown grain and resole the rough out on a vibram sole when the time comes.

DrewMill

Reaction score
For the love of baby Jesus, if anyone outside bespoke or MTM tells you measurements will give you sizing run away.

I wear the same size in my cheaney as most CJ lasts. Size down half for the islay.

Thanks! That seems to be what I was thinking, so I was surprised by their customer service.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with breaking them in. What I did was to put them on in my house every evening for 2 hours for a few weeks and after that walking around the blocks and so fort. No pain, no gain ;-)

Yeah, it wasn't unexpected. My country grain Bostons were a tough break in but are exceptionally comfortable now, so I know there is a pot of gold at the end of my pain rainbow.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloody issue is they have an even newer Coniston in slate or some such. May have to skip that one though. Just the fantastic four classics for me.

I saw the Conis in slate suede and thought exactly the same, but who knows, I am weak...

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I just listed a brand new pair of Islay 11UK in B&S if anyone is interested.

How about a link? These buy & sell threads can be tricky to find since virtually every one uses different terms/abbreviations and don't pop up easily in the search. I never knew there was one here for C&J!!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
How about a link? These buy & sell threads can be tricky to find since virtually every one uses different terms/abbreviations and don't pop up easily in the search. I never knew there was one here for C&J!!
I think it’s not permitted to link a sales thread in these threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads