1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Hey SF,

Figured I'd start here before staring own thread. I'm going to be at the Crockett & Jones NYC boutique in a week and have a few genealr questions.

I'm looking for a conservative pair of Burgundy colored shoes. Could be Oxfords. I suppose can be cordovan shell as well. But main thing is the color, I need a pair. What kind of prices can I expect? Lowest?

Also, do they have sales or, cough-cough big clearance items?

Thanks all.

2. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Far cheaper to order from the UK. You're probably looking for the Arden.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Looking into 337 or 348.

4. Balmorals

Balmorals Active Member

The 348 is definitely narrower and has a soft-square toe... but much longer

5. maltess

maltess Senior member

is there any shoe tree that works well with the 348 last? in the price range of woodlores, cedarville et.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Not a defect.

1 person likes this.
  7. untouchable123

untouchable123 Member

got a similar type thing on my tetburys at the time i just thought it was how they make them, the join not the residue

8. cptslow

cptslow Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where a US buyer could find Islay Boots in stock, UK10/US10.5???

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would say your best bet is C&J in NYC since they get them directly. However, it seems that all of Jimmy B's shoes from the last movie are in high demand. I have to say I do find this trend interesting since I've had my pair for a number of years (including the Alex).

Ironically I've always wanted the Tetbury (even prior to the movie) because it looks like a great rainy day boot for the fall.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Very normal. I guess once you need to re-sole you could always ask them to re-welt it too.

11. cptslow

cptslow Well-Known Member

Thanks. I guess I'll give them a call. I'm pretty new to all of this stuff. I've looked through several similar boots to the Islay, but for some reason, it stands out. I'm still learning, but thanks for the advice.

12. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

I'd say that's pretty normal.
    Here's some pics of my beloved Chepstow. They're on their second season and Ive just started using dark brown for the toe and medium brown for the rest.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

The Islay was one of the boots that caught my eye the first time that I went into the local C&J shop and I've had my pair for around a year now.

It would be interesting to know what they'd actually go for these days on eBay as the Barbour Tokito jacket that Craig wore with the Islays is still fetching up to a thousand quid on there...

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Heh, if I can get a premium I would definitely unload my Islays and use the earning for a pair of Galways (no offense to the C&J crowd) :embar:

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Has anyone here seen or owned a pair of C&J Reptons?

If so what are your thoughts on these shoes?

16. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple pairs from the C&J shop in Manhattan last week. Thought I'd share some photos and my sizing experience. I usually wear an 8.5D. I wear an 8D in Barrie and Trubalance, 7.5 in Tricker's 4444 and 4497, 8E in EG 202, 8D in the RL Marlow WTB, 7.5E in 337 and found that I wear a 7E in 358.

The Marstons were very comfortable right from the start and I already like them quite a lot. I haven't had a chance to wear the Randolphs yet.

Randolph in Beechnut Burnished, 358 last, 7E
    [​IMG]

Marston in Chestnut Antique, 337 last, 7.5E
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple shots of the two new pairs along with my 6 year old Begraves in Chestnut Antique, 337 last, 7.5E. You can see that my Belgraves are a much lighter and redder shade than the Marstons. I'm not sure whether that's because my Belgraves have faded over the years or because of the various shades of polish I've been using. It's probably a combination of both, but I don't recall my Belgraves having ever been quite as brown as the Marstons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. stevent

stevent Senior member

That is how a welt is closed. Most of my C&Js have something similar and every single Alden is like that. And residue on a rubber sole? Wipe / cut it off

18. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

My Westbournes are considerably lighter in color than my Somervilles and they are both listed as chestnut antique. Not sure why C&J have two colors called the same thing that look so different.

19. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Nice shoes, scurvy!

20. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Unfortunately for me, those pairs are Phorm's. I was just commenting on the color differences he was noting.