1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

What coupon worked for 30%?

2. slam

slam Well-Known Member

That was a sale right around Black Friday. Opened them up for Christmas :) Seems like that happens once a year with the 30%.

3. misterjuiceman

I tried that one and it didn't work for me for the Alden boots.

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

FYI, there is a BB Black Fleece boot that is basically the same as the Coniston without the speed lacing and with a double leather sole. A whole bunch of factory seconds (BNWT and boxes) hit eBay a couple of months ago. I kopped a pair in black grain for $250 or so IIRC. I'm pretty sure that BBBF Coniston was discussed earlier in this thread, or maybe it had it's own thread.

It looks like the prices have gone up for the current flippers, but at $399 still cheaper than 370 GBP if you're a US9:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peal-Co-for...3279298?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3ccd5a36c2
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peal-Co-for...0862227?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3a7cbcf813

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

double post

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I've yet to see a photo of either of those boots that has convinced me that they're of the same quality as the Coniston. It could just be the pictures (or my eyesight!), but in every image the leather seems to lack lustre and depth.

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

+1. I had the exact same impression about the leather. Not sure if the boot is the same last and style (other than the pull tabs) as the Coniston, but the leather really changes it.

I think Brooks did a real Coniston as a Peal about four years ago. I had ordered a pair, but someone stole my package, so I never got them. Still sad about it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I think it was one of those bargains that people find difficult to pass by...think the last and style are the same, though.

Not to rub it in (!) but these are mine, looking great after a couple of years on the clock:

[​IMG]

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Those are great. I can see the BBBF also does not have speed hooks. But whatever; the tan scotch grain Coniston is best as is, and it loses something in translation when modified for other brands.

10. misterjuiceman

Holy cow, those look great. Makes me want to buy a pair, and I already own one!

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The BBBF black nubucks they were selling fairly recently are actually labeled as "Coniston" on the BB site.
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Coniston-Boot/24AH,default,pd.html
    I also picked up a pair of those brown scotch grain ones off of ebay.

I've got several other pairs of 325 last shoes and boots but these two from BB don't feel like the 325 last.
    They both feel a bit narrower.

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I have the opportunity to order these factory second Courtenays (363 last) for $430, as opposed to the ~$580 that most C&J Handgrades cost. It's supposed to be dark brown. I'm not sure whether the weird mix of coloring is because it was taken on a cell phone. Thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  13. arambol

arambol New Member

Quick opinion from you guys if I may.

Yesterday I purchased a pair of Conistons in the Jermyn Street main shop in London.

I've noticed today that there is a slightly untidy join and some residue on the sole of one shoe.

Would you guys consider this a defect worthy of an exchange?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. maltess

maltess Senior member

Hello, just some questions about the Northcote, I want to order this model

are they true to Size? I got the tetbuty suede in UK 6.5 and fits just a bit small

What´s exactly the waxed calf? pull up leather sort of thing? the leather you easily get scratches. Shiny leather? if this is the case how shiny it is, it will fade with use?

Is this a very formal boot? If I want to wear these with jeans and a long coat , would the black be too formal and more suitable to wear with trousers and sport coats? Brown with jeans?

Best reagrds and happy new year

15. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Nice, Liquidus.

16. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

double post

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice pick up! Thought about picking those up but I already have a few whole cuts and I still want to eventually get the Weymouth.

I really like the 363 last!

18. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

is there anywhere that ia can find a comprehensive description of CJ lasts? i just bought a pair of 341s and wouldn't mind my next pair being slightly narrower, less round toed. thanks in advance.

19. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

20. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

thanks, i need to translate descriptions....