• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
the SS2021 collection is pretty small, is it complete?

My thoughts exactly, although I'm not sure this is the year for a large change in designs (if there ever is such a year).

Nickd

Reaction score
I’m not sure I was expecting tons of models, or an amazing all singing and dancing website.

I do like the look of the Harcourt in brown though.

orionz06

Reaction score
How long have the Harlech's in whisky been a thing? I feel like I've browsed the site and over and haven't seen them until the new site.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone actually bought the James?

I want a black wholecut, but considering the Alex is the same last and less than half the price (plus James likely to get hit by duty), I'm having trouble understanding if the James, the shoe itself, is much better.

I don't care about the limited edition, the trees, etc.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone actually bought the James?

I want a black wholecut, but considering the Alex is the same last and less than half the price (plus James likely to get hit by duty), I'm having trouble understanding if the James, the shoe itself, is much better.

I don't care about the limited edition, the trees, etc.
I don’t but I believe the James is a hand grade model. In as much as it’s different or qualitatively better/different, it’s along those lines. Not sure if that helps your decision.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t but I believe the James is a hand grade model. In as much as it’s different or qualitatively better/different, it’s along those lines. Not sure if that helps your decision.
This is correct - That being said there's a pretty significant price jump from handgrade to the limited edition on top of it. Unless I wanted the limited edition explicitly and was a huge Bond fan, if I were going to drop about $1,200 on a pair of wholecuts there are places I could go instead. If I wanted to stay UK you could do the Alex, you could do the Cleverly Alan 3 and with the current promo you could likely get the G&G Sinatra's if their lasts work for you with trees added and shipping for just about the same price.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is correct - That being said there's a pretty significant price jump from handgrade to the limited edition on top of it. Unless I wanted the limited edition explicitly and was a huge Bond fan, if I were going to drop about $1,200 on a pair of wholecuts there are places I could go instead. If I wanted to stay UK you could do the Alex, you could do the Cleverly Alan 3 and with the current promo you could likely get the G&G Sinatra's if their lasts work for you with trees added and shipping for just about the same price.
I agree. Even with the lasted shoe trees, brush and shoe horn, it’s around $300 more than the Weymouth which is also a hand grade wholecut

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Even with the lasted shoe trees, brush and shoe horn, it’s around $300 more than the Weymouth which is also a hand grade wholecut
You probably get a little over the difference when you add in the accessories but how many of us actually need more brushes (other than that little goat finishing brush from boot black that I still can't rationalize buying) or shoe horns? The reality is that CJ makes a solid shoe and it had been a relatively solid value play for years buying from Europe ex vat and I enjoy mine - With VAT included, buying in America or the limited edition stuff then there are a lot of other options in a really competitive space.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably get a little over the difference when you add in the accessories but how many of us actually need more brushes (other than that little goat finishing brush from boot black that I still can't rationalize buying) or shoe horns? The reality is that CJ makes a solid shoe and it had been a relatively solid value play for years buying from Europe ex vat and I enjoy mine - With VAT included, buying in America or the limited edition stuff then there are a lot of other options in a really competitive space.
it’s kind of moot for me anyway. I simply cannot stand co-branding and can’t get past the “007” embossed on the sole. Why, why, why?

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it’s kind of moot for me anyway. I simply cannot stand co-branding and can’t get past the “007” embossed on the sole. Why, why, why?
Honestly I'm not sure who the buyer is if not a Bond super fan/collector so I guess it makes sense from that perspective but yeah I'm not about to be walking around pretending to be Bond in a costume.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I completely agree, it goes against the understated elegance that wearing C&J shoes usually evokes.

I wish C&J offered lasted shoe trees for all their hand grades lasts (there aren't that many). It would be a nice touch.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 38 14.6%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Carmina

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 48 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 80 30.8%