• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’ve already got U.K. vat on the prices, so they should either be sold with a declaration that VAT has been covered in the U.K., or get sold without VAT and the recipient pays duty on them. You certainly shouldn’t pay VAT/duty twice.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good price for CJ, when I asked Paul Stuart they said it's on 330 last, which I guess is a legacy last that I have no idea about the fit

the only reference I got is this
The 330 has now transitioned to last 140, fitting will be similar to lasts 341.

edit: and some note on 140, which I guess is the only thing I can see with regard to 330

LAST 140
DATE OF ORIGIN: JUNE 2019
Last 140 is a Hand Grade Collection last launched in celebration of our 140th Anniversary. Those of you with a keen eye will note the similarity between Last 140 and Last 330, the original Crockett & Jones Hand Grade Last. You would be correct in thinking the two were linked. 140 is a blend of the 330's fore-part and the favourable fitting of the 363 back-part. The results is a last with individual character, perfect to celebrate our 140th Anniversary Collection. A Classic English round toe that flows effortlessly through the joint and into the waist and heel section. Last 140 will invariably become a staple of the Hand Grade Collection in years to come…
  • Roots of originality
  • Close fitting last, particularly at the heel
  • Developed for our 140th Anniversary
RETAIL ADVICE
Fitting advice from retail… Last 363 will fit true to size. Fitting will be similar to lasts 341, 379 and 363.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These always look better on other people ?‍♂️. I've gone back and forth on a pair of brogue derbies for the longest time
I'm there with you. I really love the Pembroke pattern, but I purchased Löf & Tung's Aldrin makeup in Oak Tärnsjö leather and I don't wear them often to warrant the purchase of the pembrokes. I keep telling myself it's because they're an oxford and not a blucher, yet I wear my AE Strands regularly despite being oxfords. So ?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm there with you. I really love the Pembroke pattern, but I purchased Löf & Tung's Aldrin makeup in Oak Tärnsjö leather and I don't wear them often to warrant the purchase of the pembrokes. I keep telling myself it's because they're an oxford and not a blucher, yet I wear my AE Strands regularly despite being oxfords. So ?
Always end up being drawn to something else, so may never get a pair

EUtroll

Reaction score
They’ve already got U.K. vat on the prices, so they should either be sold with a declaration that VAT has been covered in the U.K., or get sold without VAT and the recipient pays duty on them. You certainly shouldn’t pay VAT/duty twice.
I'm sure C&J will remove VAT but it's the whole process of getting them in paying the relevant VAT and as well as the fees at least, which makes it both more expensive and bureaucratic.

Going with regular mail has in previous times been a way to try to avoid this but should no longer be a possibility as they're reinforcing the focus on this across the EU.

I'll no longer buy things from the UK due to this. Only if they ensure that they're dealing with the mess for me and it's something I really like, or by heading over. The fees for a few things will cover the Eurostar ticket and I can as well make it a day in London.

Add to that I rather care to spend my money within the EU following the graceful exit of the UK.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was under the impression now UK goods sold to EU is just like sold to US, i.e. they should be able to take out VAT, though that means you should pay your own VAT if you're in EU, how well that is enforced, no idea.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression now UK goods sold to EU is just like sold to US, i.e. they should be able to take out VAT, though that means you should pay your own VAT if you're in EU, how well that is enforced, no idea.

This is what I was trying (and I guess failing) to allude to.

Even with 30 pound sterling shipping, a pair of CJ in rhe US from mail order is cheaper than retail in the states (as long as its under 800 USD - which can get hit by customs duty on our side).

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I'm sure C&J will remove VAT but it's the whole process of getting them in paying the relevant VAT and as well as the fees at least, which makes it both more expensive and bureaucratic.

Going with regular mail has in previous times been a way to try to avoid this but should no longer be a possibility as they're reinforcing the focus on this across the EU.

I'll no longer buy things from the UK due to this. Only if they ensure that they're dealing with the mess for me and it's something I really like, or by heading over. The fees for a few things will cover the Eurostar ticket and I can as well make it a day in London.

Add to that I rather care to spend my money within the EU following the graceful exit of the UK.
I am sure that your custom will be sorely missed.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will work both ways too, unless the duty is sorted at the sellers end for brands like Carmina, it’s going to be a pain buying them in the U.K. I have experience of buying stuff from the US and it’s not the duty I begrudge but the ‘comedy tax’ charged by the U.K. courier. Utterly unjustifiable.

It’s galling having to pay more for things and jump through hoops because of other people’s decisions but there you go.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
It will work both ways too, unless the duty is sorted at the sellers end for brands like Carmina, it’s going to be a pain buying them in the U.K. I have experience of buying stuff from the US and it’s not the duty I begrudge but the ‘comedy tax’ charged by the U.K. courier. Utterly unjustifiable.

It’s galling having to pay more for things and jump through hoops because of other people’s decisions but there you go.
That’s what happened to me recently. £9.50 duty with £45 collection...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

oh yea, when I was in London I tried to buy something from US I had my mind prepared to pay VAT but also got hit by bunch parcel fee/paper work fee blah blah blah

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Im curious now, never having been in Europe for more than 6 weeks at a time.

Do you guys not have minimums under which you can bring in goods duty free?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
So Im curious now, never having been in Europe for more than 6 weeks at a time.

Do you guys not have minimums under which you can bring in goods duty free?
It used to be £18 I think from none EU countries then this stupid collection fee on top.

I’m genuinely not sure what it is now.. I had an overdue Carmina which has now been cancelled due to them needing to remake and I wasn’t that bothered enough to wait a further three months then get shafted with duty...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads