Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ag229487

Ag229487 Senior member

Probably a dumb question, but how much toe space should there be in 348 last?

I wear a US 10d in most shoes, and received a UK 9E in Hallams. With thin socks, there is a good amount of space in the toe and a little slipping in the back, but the width is great. With fairly thick socks they fit just fine. Should I go down to an 8.5 or will they kill my feet? Theres no C&J store near me so its hard to compare sizing. I also don't feel like going through the hassle of re-selling or returning...

2. aon

aon Senior member

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or on another thread before. C&J is making shoes for Paul Smith. I'm a fan of ps shoes and I have a few pairs but all of them are made in italy.. This seems to be a great improvement for ps.

Does anyone have an idea about the last (doesn't look like a 337 or 348) and grade (benchgrade vs. handgrade)?

photos from paul smith website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those look nice. I like the cap toe. Looks a little like the 318 last from the C&J catalog.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Those look nice. I like the cap toe. Looks a little like the 318 last from the C&J catalog.

+1.

The 318 is probably my favourite C&J last; shame they don't use it for more models.

5. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

C & J Edgware - one of the dubious advantages of living in Manhattan is that there is now a C & J store on W. 56th St. - good for my style, bad for my credit rating.

Oh cool, I didn't recognize them at first, but I actually have the same Edgwares in brown [​IMG]

Too many shoes too keep track of [​IMG]

myke

6. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Oh cool, I didn't recognize them at first, but I actually have the same Edgwares in brown [​IMG]

Too many shoes too keep track of [​IMG]

myke

Been there, done that, have the bills to prove it [​IMG] .

7. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

I'm a small US 10D and I've had success going to an 8.5F on the 348 last.
    I can do an 8.5E as well but I have to break the shoes in a bit as they are
    a tad snug at first.

Probably a dumb question, but how much toe space should there be in 348 last?

I wear a US 10d in most shoes, and received a UK 9E in Hallams. With thin socks, there is a good amount of space in the toe and a little slipping in the back, but the width is great. With fairly thick socks they fit just fine. Should I go down to an 8.5 or will they kill my feet? Theres no C&J store near me so its hard to compare sizing. I also don't feel like going through the hassle of re-selling or returning...

8. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or on another thread before. C&J is making shoes for Paul Smith. I'm a fan of ps shoes and I have a few pairs but all of them are made in italy.. This seems to be a great improvement for ps.

Does anyone have an idea about the last (doesn't look like a 337 or 348) and grade (benchgrade vs. handgrade)?

They're selling for $810 to $850 so I would assume/hope they are hand grades. But you never know.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

+1.

The 318 is probably my favourite C&J last; shame they don't use it for more models.

Tell me a bit more about this last... how does it compare to, say, the 341 or 337?

And do you have any experience with the 317? Am thinking of getting a Draycott.
    They're selling for $810 to $850 so I would assume/hope they are hand grades. But you never know.
    Remember that you are paying a markup for the 'Paul Smith' brand.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ AFAIK the only model C&J currently have on the 318 last is the black Dartmouth, which is the one I have (at some earlier time they had this model in both dark brown suede and a light brown calf, I believe).

Compared to the 341, it's about the same width but slighly less elongated (about a ½cm shorter in an 8½UK). They fit me about the same.

To me the 318 looks identical to the 238 last of my Chelsea's - apart from one being a shoe and one being a boot, of course.

Sorry, but no experience with the 317 and all I can recall about the 337 is that it didn't work for me, though I don't think it was as bad as the 348 was.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ You're most welcome [​IMG]

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

For most contracts C&J usually finish the shoes to between bench grade and hand grade standard in my experience.

14. AE7

AE7 Senior member

These are private label CJs

What is the model? What would be the price estimate? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

wow those are horrible

btw, you guys realize CJ has done Paul Smith before?