• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's messed up but after a year U won't give a .. you know what. Beautiful boots.. send a picture to the retailer.. they likely will offer a discount refund.. personally I would definitely keep.

Kalec

Reaction score
Yeah but I email them for an exchange otherwise they will probably blame me for this mess and restock this shit again on website.

Sole doesn't matter but water drop on shell cordovan is unacceptable. And I believe that it is not just water... you know what it should be given the area...

CWL317

Reaction score
I am considering the dark brown Audley... would welcome opinions about it from existing owners. Does it come pre-burnished? And how does it compare to Connaught/Connaught2?

CWL317

Reaction score
I am considering the dark brown Audley... would welcome opinions about it from existing owners. Does it come pre-burnished? And how does it compare to Connaught/Connaught2?
Ok since no one replied I’m replying to my own question lol...
So I drove to C&J in Birmingham to take a look for myself. Unfortunately they said they didn’t have the Audley in Dark Brown and neither did their other store there. However they had the Audley in Black and I asked for the Connaught to compared next to it. Superficially they look almost identical. I think I’ll go to London next week to take a look at the Dark Brown with a view to purchase.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Audley is from handgrade line, Connaught is from main line. Handgrade line has nicer leather, closed channel sole and nicer lasts. IMO get Audley. Not that benchgrade C&J are bad, but handgrade are just better shoes, especially because of leather quality - handgrade is noticeably better and the price difference is quite low.

Edmund K

Reaction score
Audley is from handgrade line, Connaught is from main line. Handgrade line has nicer leather, closed channel sole and nicer lasts. IMO get Audley. Not that benchgrade C&J are bad, but handgrade are just better shoes, especially because of leather quality - handgrade is noticeably better and the price difference is quite low.
Totally agree. Definitely go with handgrade if the styles are similar and it is worth spending that extra $ on a classic model like Audley. This is going to last you a long time.

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Think I’ll get the Audley. I’d better go to London quick before they get closed by any second Covid lockdown!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this boot so much, and I don’t have any explanation why. Maybe it’s because it fits so well, my foot really works in this last....Nope, I really liked it before I owned it, I dunno, I just really like it.
Haha thanks I agree with you :) it’s a fantastic boot. Fit is really good and the chestnut burnished color is very nice too.

CWL317

Reaction score
Totally agree. Definitely go with handgrade if the styles are similar and it is worth spending that extra $ on a classic model like Audley. This is going to last you a long time.
Thanks for the consensus opinions. Well I bought the Audley today from C&J Royal Exchange. I had the chance to compare the Connaught & Connaught 2 which are very similar, in fact I preferred the slightly lighter brown of the Connaught. Royal Exchange is a small store and a little way out unless you work in banking, but they are friendly folk :)

The Audley is a very dark brown (almost black in artificial light indoors. Somewhat to my surprise there is very little visible burnishing or antiquing to it, as far as I can see. Maybe that’s a good thing as it might be better for it to naturally patina with wear. I cannot fault the leather and detailing. It’s more elongated at the toe compared to the Connaught. I’m going to give it a good burnishing polish before I wear it.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the consensus opinions. Well I bought the Audley today from C&J Royal Exchange. I had the chance to compare the Connaught & Connaught 2 which are very similar, in fact I preferred the slightly lighter brown of the Connaught. Royal Exchange is a small store and a little way out unless you work in banking, but they are friendly folk :)

The Audley is a very dark brown (almost black in artificial light indoors. Somewhat to my surprise there is very little visible burnishing or antiquing to it, as far as I can see. Maybe that’s a good thing as it might be better for it to naturally patina with wear. I cannot fault the leather and detailing. It’s more elongated at the toe compared to the Connaught. I’m going to give it a good burnishing polish before I wear it.
can you provide us with side to side pictures of Audley and connaught?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's