• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re not crazy, $1000 is a lot to give for them. But with that said, they are one of my absolute favorites in the shoe room. Very happy I took the plunge, the leather is amazing!
This says a lot about the boot given your extensive collection!

oskrusa

Reaction score
You’re not crazy, $1000 is a lot to give for them. But with that said, they are one of my absolute favorites in the shoe room. Very happy I took the plunge, the leather is amazing!
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
If I recall correctly, you mentioned that the 228 last felt tight widthwise when compared to your boots on the 325.

Did you get that resolved with a boot stretcher or was it taken care of on its own with normal wear?

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
I do own the hardwick and I love them, perfect for spring/summer casual wear. Here they are:
ah yes! The poor man’s Dover. Lovely shoe actually, and with the money saved, you can get some nice boots as well.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
If I recall correctly, you mentioned that the 228 last felt tight widthwise when compared to your boots on the 325.

Did you get that resolved with a boot stretcher or was it taken care of on its own with normal wear?
The boot stretcher worked on my Snowdon's, the leather stretched out very nicely. Conversely, my Radnor’s leather seems to stretch more easily. I didn’t need to use the stretcher per say, I do use a large Woodlore shoe tree in my UK8.5 shoe, and that little bit of extra tree size, help the Radnor fit my foot really well.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
The Tods were 600-ish on sale, but I had some other items in there that brought above 800, I guess that's why I got hit. Good to know in future. Thanks!

When ordering from UK mail order do they quote you in pounds/euro/dollars and you convert?
I've never bough anything from the Rake, but it's disappointing they don't cover customs duty even when buyer pays higher USD price. The Rake allows you to ship to US but pay in GBP, and price difference is significant. 305 GBP excl VAT, or approx. $375 USD, for these loafers priced at $597 when you pay in USD

1593534761625.png

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Ideally, I would have ordered both so it was a tough decision. I have the Skye 3 in dark brown cordovan and the fit is amazing. I also have the Zug Snowdon which is on the same last as Radnor 4 and that one has a faux captoe which I prefer. Totally agree with you that Radnor 4 with a faux toe would have made it more appealing.
I ended up pulling the trigger on both Radnor 4 and Skye. The Chestnut color, 335 last fit and overall aesthetics are all very appealing to me. At the moment I don't need another pair of boots, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the Skye.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I've never bough anything from the Rake, but it's disappointing they don't cover customs duty even when buyer pays higher USD price. The Rake allows you to ship to US but pay in GBP, and price difference is significant. 305 GBP excl VAT, or approx. $375 USD, for these loafers priced at $597 when you pay in USD

View attachment 1415814
This is....incredibly disheartening..... Have probably wasted a lot of money paying USD.

As to an earlier point, the Rake has a specific section of the site where they proclaim "customs is your problem" essentially.

Phoenician

Reaction score

View attachment 1415814

That's the primary reason I avoid them, and many seem to as well. They're a ripoff and a not customer-centric; that's enough for me.

Phoenician

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the trigger on both Radnor 4 and Skye. The Chestnut color, 335 last fit and overall aesthetics are all very appealing to me. At the moment I don't need another pair of boots, but couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get the Skye.
Whoa! Atta' boy! I was lucky and recently got the Skye III in Chestnut on sale at Bodiley's for 320 GBP and am glad I did; it's a terrific color!

20200622_185437~2.jpg
20200622_185422~2.jpg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Reaction score
That's the primary reason I avoid them, and many seem to as well. They're a ripoff and a not customer-centric; that's enough for me.
Might be a bit much. They have a well curated selection and in much of the US we have a paucity of choice.

Customer service has always been really good. Have done no cost returns, and never had quality issues like on MP or FF.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Whoa! Atta' boy! I was lucky and recently got the Skye III in Chestnut on sale at Bodiley's for 320 GBP and am glad I did; it's a terrific color!
It definitely is - your posts pushed me over the edge. Thanks for enabling!

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Might be a bit much. They have a well curated selection and in much of the US we have a paucity of choice.

Customer service has always been really good. Have done no cost returns, and never had quality issues like on MP or FF.
Is the USD list price for your loafers on par with US retail price? If yes, it's possible Tod's controls pricing policy and the Rake may have their hands tied in terms of offering more favorable pricing. I've noticed C&J and EG USD prices are on par with US retail price. However the option is there to get them at a discount if payment is made in GBP.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.