• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Someone please tell me I'm not crazy for passing on the Radnor in my size... I really have the all-weather boot category covered plus I'm awaiting my Hanger Project GMTO in the Russian grain leather. Just didn't see the value in dropping ~$1K for it. Liked the peebles too, but again just wasn't sure how it fit with the rest of my wardrobe. If anything may try and go back for the peebles...
Since you have an incoming pair in Russian grain, I think it makes sense to pass on the Radnor. From my personal perspective, the main allure of the Radnor lies in the leather. I've wanted a pair of boots in Russian Grain since I first laid eyes on the Radnor here on SF. I would've preferred captoe design, however the plain toe adds a nice variation since I don't own any plain toe boot at the moment. In any case, I feel the Radnor's a handsome boot as-is.

Btw Radnor is $640-650 shipped, not quite $1k. Carmina'd quoted me much higher price for the Calway in same leather, I think this was before J&FJ Baker shipped the second batch which had issues. I ended up skipping the Calway altogether (too much overlap w/ my Galways and Balways), but the end product would've been striking.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you have an incoming pair in Russian grain, I think it makes sense to pass on the Radnor. From my personal perspective, the main allure of the Radnor lies in the leather. I've wanted a pair of boots in Russian Grain since I first laid eyes on the Radnor here on SF. I would've preferred captoe design, however the plain toe adds a nice variation since I don't own any plain toe boot at the moment. In any case, I feel the Radnor's a handsome boot as-is.

Btw Radnor is $640-650 shipped, not quite $1k. Carmina'd quoted me much higher price for the Calway in same leather, I think this was before J&FJ Baker shipped the second batch which had issues. I ended up skipping the Calway altogether (too much overlap w/ my Galways and Balways), but the end product would've been striking.
I agree with what you have posted. It's a good looking boot, but for me will not get the use that it deserves.

The sale list I got from C&J NY has the price listed as $930, which is significantly more than the price you quoted however.

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s the makeup I wanted off Carmina too! Said issues with the hides, veins I think.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
I agree with what you have posted. It's a good looking boot, but for me will not get the use that it deserves.

The sale list I got from C&J NY has the price listed as $930, which is significantly more than the price you quoted however.
I'd contact Pernilla Searle (MailOrder at crockettandjones.co.uk) if you're interested in Radnor or any other pair. US prices are considerably higher. As you know this is true for Carmina as well. Sara quoted me price in both USD (for US market) and EUR, and US price was ~15% higher. She explained it's due to tariffs, which may also explain C&J, EG and other makers charging higher prices in the US.

Jamesbond1

Reaction score
Received a call from Ms Alex directly @ 69 Jermyn Street to my surprise. Eskdale in brown suede on the way!
378 last any feedback as I have no clue how it fits. I take UK 11 in 325,341,348,365...

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to snag a Radnor, but I recently bought the Snowdon and they would be fairly redundant (despite the beautiful Russian grain).

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I'd contact Pernilla Searle (MailOrder at crockettandjones.co.uk) if you're interested in Radnor or any other pair. US prices are considerably higher. As you know this is true for Carmina as well. Sara quoted me price in both USD (for US market) and EUR, and US price was ~15% higher. She explained it's due to tariffs, which may also explain C&J, EG and other makers charging higher prices in the US.
Do they not ship DHL or another carrier that will impose the tariff?

I ordered some Tod's hand painted Gommino loafers form the Rake and had to pay around $50 to clear them through customs to DHL.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Do they not ship DHL or another carrier that will impose the tariff?

I ordered some Tod's hand painted Gommino loafers form the Rake and had to pay around $50 to clear them through customs to DHL.
You may have to pay customs duty if over $800, these are $600ish excluding shipping so not applicable. What was the price of the loafers if you don't mind my asking. Also, did you buy from Rake at GBP equivalent price? USD prices are quite a bit higher so would've expected Rake to cover all import related fees. Even with customs duty paid out of pocket GBP equivalent price, with VAT removed, is cheaper for items I usually eye on Rake (Edward Green)

ValidusLA

Reaction score
The Tods were 600-ish on sale, but I had some other items in there that brought above 800, I guess that's why I got hit. Good to know in future. Thanks!

When ordering from UK mail order do they quote you in pounds/euro/dollars and you convert?

zippyh

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Tods were 600-ish on sale, but I had some other items in there that brought above 800, I guess that's why I got hit. Good to know in future. Thanks!

When ordering from UK mail order do they quote you in pounds/euro/dollars and you convert?
They quote you in GBP and charge you in GBP.

Couriers will charge you a brokerage fee plus whatever the duty is for the declared item.
Men's shoes are around 10%. Brokerage fees are around $20-30.
You get charged duty if the items are over $800.

In my experience, I've never been charged anything when the package is declared under the $800 limit.

Every package I've received from C&J was declared in a recipient favorable manner.
Shipping is around 35GBP.

Mallaig

Reaction score
I received list below from the lovely Ms. Pernilla Searle. Hoping to get a pair of Radnor, if available in my size.

Note: Prices below include VAT

• Brecon Black Calf WAS £465 – NOW £395
  • Bury Black & Dark Brown Antique Calf (358-last) – WAS £750 – NOW £620
  • Camden Mushroom Suede – WAS £375 – NOW £310
  • Cavendish Black Calf G-Fitting Only – WAS £460 – NOW £385
  • Chelsea V Green Rough Out Suede – WAS £410 – NOW £335
  • Cranleigh Snuff, Mid Blue & Shark Grey Suede – WAS £400 – NOW £335
  • Deene Black Calf – WAS £480 – NOW £335
  • Deene Dark Brown Pebble Grain – WAS £470 – NOW £400
  • Drummond Tan Burnished Calf – WAS £465 – NOW £370
  • Durham Tan Scotch Grain – WAS £455 – NOW £390
  • Eskdale Dark Brown Suede – WAS £430 – NOW £355
  • Eskdale Dark Brown Wax Calf – WAS £485 – NOW £410
  • Finsbury Black & Chestnut Burnished Calf – WAS £465 – NOW £390
  • Flore Snuff Suede – WAS £405 – NOW £340
  • Gower II Black & Chestnut Burnished Calf – WAS £490 – NOW £415
  • Grasmere Tan Scotch Grain “G-fitting ONLY” – WAS £440 – NOW £380
  • Hallam Dark Brown Burnished Calf “F-fitting ONLY” WAS £4445 – NOW £370
  • Hardwick Snuff Suede – WAS £390 – NOW £330
  • Hartland II Dark Brown Suede – WAS £370 – NOW £310
  • Harvard II Tan Pebble Grain – WAS £425 – NOW £350
  • Hayle Ocean Suede – WAS £370 – NOW £310
  • Lichfield Black & Chestnut Calf, Tobacco Suede – WAS £470 – NOW £395
  • Lonsdale Dark Brown Suede – WAS £560 – NOW £475
  • Malton Black (Dainite Sole ONLY) & Dark Brown Burnished Calf - WAS £445 – NOW £380
  • Monkton Black Calf Suede – WAS £450 – NOW £385
  • Newquay Snuff Suede – WAS £380 – NOW £320
  • Peebles Russian Grain – WAS £600 – NOW £480
  • Radnor Russian Grain – WAS £710 – NOW £590
  • Radstock Black Calf “E-fitting Dainite Sole ONLY” – WAS £445 – NOW £380
  • Savile Black & Dark Brown Antique Calf 337-last only – WAS £615 – NOW £515
  • Skye III Black Calf – WAS £550 – NOW £455
  • Skye III Chestnut Burnished Calf – WAS £550 – NOW £405
  • Swindon Dark Brown Burnished Calf G-Fitting ONLY – WAS £460 – NOW £395
  • Tetbury Black Suede – WAS £385 – NOW £330
  • Tunbridge Coffee Burnished Calf – WAS £465 – NOW £355
Having this list two posts below a picture of @nishant 's Islays is a cruel, cruel joke. Why is the Islay not in the sale !!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone please tell me I'm not crazy for passing on the Radnor in my size... I really have the all-weather boot category covered plus I'm awaiting my Hanger Project GMTO in the Russian grain leather. Just didn't see the value in dropping ~$1K for it. Liked the peebles too, but again just wasn't sure how it fit with the rest of my wardrobe. If anything may try and go back for the peebles...
You’re not crazy, $1000 is a lot to give for them. But with that said, they are one of my absolute favorites in the shoe room. Very happy I took the plunge, the leather is amazing!

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
Having this list two posts below a picture of @nishant 's Islays is a cruel, cruel joke. Why is the Islay not in the sale !!
Fulham offers 15% to 20% discount on all C&J several times a year. They're offering 10% discount at the moment, limited sizes available though

Mallaig

Reaction score
Fulham offers 15% to 20% discount on all C&J several times a year. They're offering 10% discount at the moment, limited sizes available though

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they could do 10% off in my size. I did send a note to the folk at Canary Wharf (with whom we are doing the Whisky Shell Westfields ) in the hope they can do something. Long shot, but worth asking.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.