• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
Just bought my first pair of C&J! They are the Connaught in Black Calf. I normally wear US size 11 and ordered 10E from the NYC shop. I had to wear them for a meeting and was not able to get my shoe tree in time (delay in shipping - yikes!), so I stuffed them with paper towels for time being (Please tell me it will be ok lol).

Anyways, the shoes are great. They feel like an extension of my body. Absolutely gorgeous to look at and wonderful to wear. They feel a tad bit wide for me, but nothing too crazy or warranting an exchange. After how many wears, do you guys recommend I should use my Saphir renovateur and wax on them? View attachment 1387353View attachment 1387355
Damn they look great. Wear in good health.

Can you compare the Connaugt last fitting with some other shoes you own? Would like to know how they fit compared to other fits.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with 341 last and certain Allen Edmonds shoes?

Due to unforeseen circumstances I can only provide data points of AE MacNeil on 97 last and AE Carlyle on 108 last. MacNeil 97 last @ 7.5D is great fit, Carlyle 7.5D 108 last is a terrible fit (too tight around ball of foot, the bones on both big toe lateral side and pinky toe is just completely squished. I should have gotten E or EE).

Looking to get the Westfield on 341 Last @ 6.5 E UK... but unsure if 341 is too crazy narrow like the 108 Carlyle. That Carlyle data point drives me crazy because the MacNeil longwing bluchers are such a great fit at 7.5 D width and length wise (about an inch of room between toes and shoes).

I don't have access to my other C&Js at the moment, but I also own some 337 and 348 lasted shoes. I vaguely remember the feeling of wearing them, ...

Thanks y'all!
I have the MacNeil (7 last) and Quintons (8 last) in 9D and the Quintons almost feel perfect to me. The MacNeils are not a great fit. When I first got them they were narrow in the toe box and too wide in the heel. They are still too wide in the heel for me.

I have the Harlechs (341 last) in size 8E UK. I would say that if you were to go a size down from your U.S. size in the 341 you will get a little length and maybe width. I don't think you would need to size up on the 341. Also take into consideration though that my Harlechs are shell and shell footwear in my experience is a little looser than their calf counterparts. I also have shell MacNeils and those are loose on me too and looser than my calf MacNeils.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Looking at some oxfords in Polo suede color and like the look, but thinking they may not be as easy to match with pants as say a darker color brown suede. Anyone own the Polo suede coland care to chime in, or perhaps anyone else open to giving me much needed color matching advice. Thanks for any help!

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at some oxfords in Polo suede color and like the look, but thinking they may not be as easy to match with pants as say a darker color brown suede. Anyone own the Polo suede coland care to chime in, or perhaps anyone else open to giving me much needed color matching advice. Thanks for any help!
0CA66632-4236-495F-9D59-8343C89E1092.jpeg
D723B5A3-77E2-49A5-8CB1-B2BE1F64E773.jpeg

C&J Arden 2 in polo suede.

shrink1061

Reaction score
So I picked up a strange pair this week. Theres a bit of a story attached to this so will do that prior to the reveal.

A friend of mine, realised he'd really been wearing the wrong size shoes for some time and as such moved on a lot of his earlier shoewear purchases, and among them, lots of random stuff from Crockett, AS, Crombie... and a pair of Richard James shoes which I found quite striking.

An oxford Toe cap, in three tone brown, with closed channel soles, but on what was clearly a Crockett 348 last. So it seems crockett were making these, but to a standard somewhere between Benchgrade and Handgrade.

The other day a pair came up on ebay, in my size, brand new and unworn! Seemed rude not to... so now I present to you, My Richard James Hallams!

Attachments

shrink1061

Reaction score
It’s the same for New&Lingwood, even benchgrade models have closed channel soles.
I just loved that they stood out as being something a little unique. I remember being quite taken with the pair my friend had and since you can't buy them any more (they must be at least 8-10 years old at this point), I just wrote off ever finding a pair. Well.... never count your chickens huh!

958S

Reaction score
I’ve always felt that C&J occupies kind of a unique place in the pantheon of English shoes.

They have a wonderful RTW range with tons of options. Their boots are second to none and give EG boots a run for the money. Given the cost differential, a better value.

Their styling is classic but not stodgy. They offer a great made to order program and their hand grade line is right up their with EG, JL and G&G.

They really don’t have a peer either in the same price range or in terms of what they offer.
Very well said, and that is why I have bought around 20 pairs of boots/shoes by C&J, more than any other single brand for sure. For the reasons mentioned above, 9 times out of 10 I end up with C&J.

958S

Reaction score
I believe they are on the 240 last rather than 325 as C&J uses. 240 is Peal & Co last and has a slightly less rounded, sleeker toe shape.

Depends which you prefer.

the shell is Horween as far as I am aware
Correct on both counts, have them and love them. I grabbed them when they were phasing them out, unfortunately now you have to buy from eBay or someone here on the forum.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.