• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Thanks to both @MrBoombastic and @shoeinvestor

So now I'm wondering what constitutes a handgrade MTO when you are using shell . The last and the tanned bark sole seem to be the primary differences. Anything else ?
There might be other differences. But the question you raise is probably the reason why shell cordovan C&Js are always benchgrade.

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
In addition to that, the soles have closed stitching and the leather lining is a full-sock lining (that's something I noted in my shoes). And the leather is nicer on the HG of course. In saying that, I'd be keen on hearing from others in the SF community as well esp. with regards to Shell Cordovan as I don't know much about it at all.

Here is a link that I just found from the C&J website that may be helpful :)

Thanks to both @MrBoombastic and @shoeinvestor

So now I'm wondering what constitutes a handgrade MTO when you are using shell . The last and the tanned bark sole seem to be the primary differences. Anything else ?

stijn

Reaction score
I have zero experience with the handgrade models so these comments are intriguing to me. Question for @stijn, are our Whisky Shell MTO going to use the handgrade quality soles or the benchgrade quality soles ? Can we influence which is used ? Or am I tilting at windmills ?
We've requested double JR soles, I don't know what soles the benchgrades are but by ordering a double JR sole I'm pretty sure it's the best quality that we've ordered.

Mallaig

Reaction score
We've requested double JR soles, I don't know what soles the benchgrades are but by ordering a double JR sole I'm pretty sure it's the best quality that we've ordered.
Thanks @stijn. The JR soles are bark tanned, so the major difference would be the last and possibly the lining. I'm feeling pretty good at this point :)

adrs1157

Reaction score
Canadian patrons of C&J: Where do you buy your shoes? Online? In store?

I want a pair of the Brown Shell Cordovan Harvard II Loafers, and I’m looking for recommendations of where I might buy them...
I ordered via email straight from C&J canary wharf. No duty and it's cheaper than buying C&J from the states.

Ever since leatherfoot closed there hasn't been any other shops that carry C&J here in Toronto.

Also, Skyvalet in the US carries cordovan Harvard in a few sizes.

AWu

Reaction score
If anyone owns C&J handgrade and benchgrade shoes, does handgrade shoes worth to purchase with additional price? I just wanted to learn about handgrade shoes more.
Def yes. HG has better upper leather and bark tanned sole. Of coz both HG and BG leather age very nicely while I still can see the difference bewteen them.

Another thing is at what price you can get them. At full retail RRP, I trust you get more than what you paid extra. :cheers:

AWu

Reaction score
Pediwear is great - they don't carry much Handgrade though.
I dun have good experience with Pediwear... They shipped me a pair being badly try-on and when I returned them (which I told them the return due to quality issue) they eat up my shipping...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.