• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Thanks to both @MrBoombastic and @shoeinvestor

So now I'm wondering what constitutes a handgrade MTO when you are using shell . The last and the tanned bark sole seem to be the primary differences. Anything else ?
There might be other differences. But the question you raise is probably the reason why shell cordovan C&Js are always benchgrade.

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
In addition to that, the soles have closed stitching and the leather lining is a full-sock lining (that's something I noted in my shoes). And the leather is nicer on the HG of course. In saying that, I'd be keen on hearing from others in the SF community as well esp. with regards to Shell Cordovan as I don't know much about it at all.

Here is a link that I just found from the C&J website that may be helpful :)

Thanks to both @MrBoombastic and @shoeinvestor

So now I'm wondering what constitutes a handgrade MTO when you are using shell . The last and the tanned bark sole seem to be the primary differences. Anything else ?

stijn

Reaction score
I have zero experience with the handgrade models so these comments are intriguing to me. Question for @stijn, are our Whisky Shell MTO going to use the handgrade quality soles or the benchgrade quality soles ? Can we influence which is used ? Or am I tilting at windmills ?

We've requested double JR soles, I don't know what soles the benchgrades are but by ordering a double JR sole I'm pretty sure it's the best quality that we've ordered.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pembroke
IMG_3560.jpg

Mallaig

Reaction score
We've requested double JR soles, I don't know what soles the benchgrades are but by ordering a double JR sole I'm pretty sure it's the best quality that we've ordered.
Thanks @stijn. The JR soles are bark tanned, so the major difference would be the last and possibly the lining. I'm feeling pretty good at this point :)

inTROYspection

Reaction score
Canadian patrons of C&J: Where do you buy your shoes? Online? In store?

I want a pair of the Brown Shell Cordovan Harvard II Loafers, and I’m looking for recommendations of where I might buy them...

adrs1157

Reaction score
Canadian patrons of C&J: Where do you buy your shoes? Online? In store?

I want a pair of the Brown Shell Cordovan Harvard II Loafers, and I’m looking for recommendations of where I might buy them...
I ordered via email straight from C&J canary wharf. No duty and it's cheaper than buying C&J from the states.

Ever since leatherfoot closed there hasn't been any other shops that carry C&J here in Toronto.

Also, Skyvalet in the US carries cordovan Harvard in a few sizes.

AWu

Reaction score
If anyone owns C&J handgrade and benchgrade shoes, does handgrade shoes worth to purchase with additional price? I just wanted to learn about handgrade shoes more.
Def yes. HG has better upper leather and bark tanned sole. Of coz both HG and BG leather age very nicely while I still can see the difference bewteen them.

Another thing is at what price you can get them. At full retail RRP, I trust you get more than what you paid extra. :cheers:

AWu

Reaction score
Pediwear is great - they don't carry much Handgrade though.
I dun have good experience with Pediwear... They shipped me a pair being badly try-on and when I returned them (which I told them the return due to quality issue) they eat up my shipping...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads