• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the way they are. Don't be alarmed. They are almost like lasted trees.

Agreed - and I like the way lasted shoe trees fit. :nodding:

Frankly, the fit of lasted shoe trees makes me wonder sometimes if standard shoe tree size recommendations don't err on the small side, e.g., recommending medium when a guy could/should get a large.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Question for suede tetbury and chiltern owners, is there any difference in skin quality. Perhaps nap?

I was originally looking at only a chiltern but the last on the tetbury is growing on me.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tang

Reaction score
Guys, hope to get some sizing assistance here.

I intend to buy a C&J Audley (last 337) online but am unsure of whether to get UK7.5 or UK8. My feet is a little wide at the front.

I previously bought a pair of EG 888 size 7.5E and it fit well when i tried it in the store, however, after wearing it proper for a whole day, i realise that the shoe fits rather tight at the vamp area and my third toe starts hurting after a full-day's wear cause it has been pressing against the toe box. This has however, improved marginally after wearing it for about a dozen times.

As a side note, my EG82 - 7.5F fits fine.

Now, back to the C&J 337, how does it fit against the EG 888; should i get the C&J 337 UK7.5 or UK8. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

hanskl

Reaction score
So which shoe trees do you guys use for shoes on the 325 last and 314 last?

Here is a photo of the Westbourne on the 348 last and the C&J for RL Marlow wingtip on the 325 last in the same size, using the same tree. You can clearly see the shoe tree goes deeper into the toe area on the 348 last. It almost feels like the leather on the wingtip is gonna tear with this shoe tree, its too wide in the forepart. The C&J shoe trees is more or less like a perfect fit for the 348 last.

Here is a photo comparing the Marlow wingtip with the penny loafer, still using the same shoe trees. As you can see, the loafer on the 314 last is not as reluctant to embrace the shoe tree as the wingtip on the 325 last, however I still feel the shoe trees are a poor fit for this shoe too.

So which shoetrees do you use for these shoes? Are you able to comfortably fit C&J shoe trees in them, or do you have to resort to other shoe trees?

PS, a quick shot of the welt of the loafer. The shining part looks like metal. On this side of the shoe I can also clearly see the holes in the upper where the welt is attached. Is this purely an esthetic 'defect', or would it also have some impact on the construction/durability of the shoe?
Thanks.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear marlow penny and wingtip in the same size?

hanskl

Reaction score
Do you wear marlow penny and wingtip in the same size?

Yes. I wear a size uk10 in both the 341 and 348 last, while I wear us10.5 in both the wingtip and the penny loafer. They fit me all the same, IMO. The loafer might be a tad snugger than the others, but its still quite new.

What are your thoughts about the picture of the welt of the loafer?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. I wear a size uk10 in both the 341 and 348 last, while I wear us10.5 in both the wingtip and the penny loafer. They fit me all the same, IMO. The loafer might be a tad snugger than the others, but its still quite new.

What are your thoughts about the picture of the welt of the loafer?

Thanks.

I think that the metal visible is a staple (used in the lasting process) that came out from the leather.
Maybe could be a problem in the future, I cannot say it with certainty.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So which shoe trees do you guys use for shoes on the 325 last and 314 last?

Here is a photo of the Westbourne on the 348 last and the C&J for RL Marlow wingtip on the 325 last in the same size, using the same tree. You can clearly see the shoe tree goes deeper into the toe area on the 348 last. It almost feels like the leather on the wingtip is gonna tear with this shoe tree, its too wide in the forepart. The C&J shoe trees is more or less like a perfect fit for the 348 last.

Here is a photo comparing the Marlow wingtip with the penny loafer, still using the same shoe trees. As you can see, the loafer on the 314 last is not as reluctant to embrace the shoe tree as the wingtip on the 325 last, however I still feel the shoe trees are a poor fit for this shoe too.

So which shoetrees do you use for these shoes? Are you able to comfortably fit C&J shoe trees in them, or do you have to resort to other shoe trees?

PS, a quick shot of the welt of the loafer. The shining part looks like metal. On this side of the shoe I can also clearly see the holes in the upper where the welt is attached. Is this purely an esthetic 'defect', or would it also have some impact on the construction/durability of the shoe?
Thanks.

I believe C&J offers two different tree configurations. The trees for the 'long lasted' shoes are different than the the trees for the 'short lasted' shoes. I have pairs in 348 and 341 which I purchased in the Jermyn St. store and I was provided different trees at that time. You should get the right tree for your 314 shoes - the tree for the 348 is not appropriate.

hanskl

Reaction score
I believe C&J offers two different tree configurations. The trees for the 'long lasted' shoes are different than the the trees for the 'short lasted' shoes. I have pairs in 348 and 341 which I purchased in the Jermyn St. store and I was provided different trees at that time. You should get the right tree for your 314 shoes - the tree for the 348 is not appropriate.
Thanks for your input. It was my understanding that they offered two set of trees, one for the handgrade lasts, and one universal.
Below you can see a comparison between the trees I received with my 341 lasted shoes, and the trees I received with my 348 lasted shoes. They appear identical, and they also have the same numbers. I don't consider the 341 last to be a long and narrow one like the 348, and I would think it resembles the 325 more.

Anyway, here are some comparison photos.

Do I have to worry about the upper of the loafer to collapse?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your input. It was my understanding that they offered two set of trees, one for the handgrade lasts, and one universal.
Below you can see a comparison between the trees I received with my 341 lasted shoes, and the trees I received with my 348 lasted shoes. They appear identical, and they also have the same numbers. I don't consider the 341 last to be a long and narrow one like the 348, and I would think it resembles the 325 more.

Anyway, here are some comparison photos.

Do I have to worry about the upper of the loafer to collapse?

I received the natural finish models such as the ones shown in your pics for my shoes on the 341 last. I received the longer ones with the stained finish for all of my 348 lasted shoes. I don't know what their 'official' position is about this - but the ones I have fit my shoes well. I believe they use the same stained longer lasts for the handgrades - but frankly am not sure.

hanskl

Reaction score
I received the natural finish models such as the ones shown in your pics for my shoes on the 341 last. I received the longer ones with the stained finish for all of my 348 lasted shoes. I don't know what their 'official' position is about this - but the ones I have fit my shoes well. I believe they use the same stained longer lasts for the handgrades - but frankly am not sure.

I emailed C&J about this earlier today, and the answer I received was the following:

We offer our classic shoe trees which fit all of our lasts, we also have a new Hand grade shoe tree which is made for the 358 last.

The classic shoe tree fits all.

They seem to be experts at avoiding answering my questions. But it seems like they would use the generic shoe tree on both the 314 and 325 last, therefore I really don't understand why my trees don't fit.. Kinda annoying
baldy[1].gif

About the loafer, is the visible inseam an issue?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can clearly see the shoe tree goes deeper into the toe area on the 348 last. It almost feels like the leather on the wingtip is gonna tear with this shoe tree, its too wide in the forepart.

not sure what you're talking about, though.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardwicks scored from Barneys. Wish I'd grabbed the red ones, too.

Last edited:

hanskl

Reaction score

not sure what you're talking about, though.

Aah yes, that was rather poorly explained. When I tried to insert the shoe trees, I had to use a substantial amount of force.. My concerns were that too much force would translate to some stitching getting undone, or even worse, the shell would get torn apart.. I am sure it wouldn't though, but I didn't feel comfortable trying to fully insert the trees as it required too much force imo.

So my question is, are anyone able to fit C&J trees into their 325lasted shoes, and what size do tree do you have relative to the shoe size? Thanks :)

sdolina

Reaction score
Why do you stick to C&J trees? I have only one that fits my Cliffords and that is it, for every other Crocketts using aftermarket cedar shoe trees, Saphire for example, and having no problems with stretching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics