** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

US retail for handgrade is around the $700 - $800 range I thought.

2. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Price gouging people that don't know better. Order direct from C&J UK or other UK retailers like Robert Old.

3. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

The quote I got from C&J was $860 with shoe trees. I'm assuming shipping would be free. If I remember correct the price from Pediwear was just over $500 (without trees) with the exchange rate.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

How do I order direct from C&J in the UK? Do I need to email them?

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

message in a bottle

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That sounds about right. I think shoe trees are somewhere around $90 - $100, so that puts the shoes at about $700 - $800.

I think Pediwear price is around $575 at an exchange of 1.55 not including VAT. The price does jump up a bit because its imported here to the U.S.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Smoke signal!

E-mail any of the stores. I get responses within 48 hours. Also, I believe they can procure inventories from one another so selection is typically very good.

8. jfancher

jfancher Well-Known Member

I apologize if I am misunderstanding something but why would ordering through C&J in the UK be cheaper than ordering from the NY location?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

C&J has to pay duty on shoes that they import, while you don't if you import yourself.

11. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

That is not true. An individual faces the same laws as a business and thus may have to pay duty too. Moreover, fees may be imposed by the broker, shipper, warehouse, and anyone else who puts their hands on your parcel.

The import tariff for UK-made leather boots imposed by the US 8.5%. For UK-made leather shoes it's 5%. Will the items be inspected and tariff be levied? Case by case. Customs agents are part of homeland security, so perhaps items other than C&J footwear are of greater interest.

Here's a tariff calculator, http://www.dutycalculator.com. I don't know how up to date it is; bilateral and multilateral FTA's have liberalization schedules that reduce the rates incrementally over a period of several years. Rates don't always decrease; in some cases the trade agreements have safeguards that allow an importing country to raise rates or impose quotas if imports surge "too much" in a given period.

Here is the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, http://hts.usitc.gov/. Chapters of likely interest to the 'Mercan SF community are Section XI and Section XII. Section VIII, too.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Pricing in different countries is not a purely exchange rate driven exercise. It's based upon what the local market will pay for the goods.

The prices are based upon what the local market will bear. In the UK there are more better made shoes at lower prices. C&J has a niche between above some of those lower priced makers but below others. C&J prices based upon that market. In the US there are fewer quality shoemakers and C&J markets itself as more upscale. It still doesn't price as high as EG, but there are far fewer outlets and the market is more controlled. Supply being restricted and down market competitors being fewer, C&J can price higher based upon the US market.

13. jfancher

jfancher Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand the concept if I was living in the UK but I would imagine C&j would see that I am ordering from the US and thus charge the US retail rate. At any rate, I will email them and compare myself.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That's one thing I don't get. As a business, C&J UK should restrict sales to countries where they have a company store or where their products can be purchased in country. The C&J UK stores are stealing sales away from their in country suppliers. This is great for us that know that buying straight from C&J UK is cheaper than buying from C&J US though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The subtotal (minus VAT) is cheaper if ordered through C&J UK compared to ordering MSRP in the US (asuming US based) but this is only true if fees and tariffs are not added. If you buy shoes from the UK and they are inspected and deemed merchandise in customs, then you will be subject to fees. These fees closely resemble the difference 'saved' from buying in the US. How often this happens varies depending on the carrier used. It always seems like a 'deal' until you receive the bill.

The same argument can be made if you live in a different state and ordered from C&J NYC. If I purchase from the NYC store, I have to pay city and sales tax whereas someone in CT can order shoes and avoid the taxes.

Regarding limiting business, there are many benefits of having a B&M store such has the ability to be fitted properly, handling the merchandise, and developing a relationship with the sales staff. I assume there are enough people who prefer to shop via this method especially if they are less familiar with C&J shoes.