• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

sdolina

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a pair of Ardens, which are on the 341 last. I own a pair of Audleys (337 last) in 8E UK, which are the best-fitting pair of shoes I own. I'm assuming an 8E in the Arden will be a good bet?

These lasts fit me better than others, and both are in the same size and width.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that the Malton?  Lovely shoes.

I notice it is Chestnut Antique Calf.  I thought antiqueing was only for the luxes, not the el cheapos.

The Beechnut color from the benchgrade (el cheapo) collection has some applied antique effect as well.

Chicagobred

Reaction score
C&J for Brooks Brothers Peal & Co. dark brown wingtip balmoral, recently picked up during the last Brooks Brothers sale

The C&J 240 last strikes a good balance between stylish and conservative, fits me well, and I'm very happy with the construction of the shoe. I'd like to buy a 240 lasted cap toe balmoral to replace my Park Aves, but it looks like Brooks only offers a perf captoe, not a straight captoe. From this thread, I have read that the 236 last is very similar to the 240 last, and therefore I should be looking at the C&J Connaught for a shoe similarly proportioned to my above pictured Peal wingtips. Is my reasoning correct here?

Also, as you can see in the picture, the shoe is a 9 1/2 D. If I buy the 236 lasted Connaught, I believe I should be ordering a U.K. 8 1/2 D. If anyone has any experience with the 240 last and the 236 last, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Beechnut color from the benchgrade (el cheapo) collection has some applied antique effect as well.

I step over the plebs and their el cheapo benchgrade shoes with my handgrade shoes everyday.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, as you can see in the picture, the shoe is a 9 1/2 D. If I buy the 236 lasted Connaught, I believe I should be ordering a U.K. 8 1/2 D. If anyone has any experience with the 240 last and the 236 last, I would greatly appreciate your input!

You might want to double check but from what I remember, C&J sizes half difference (e.g., UK 9 = US 9.5). Maybe others can confirm?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like to buy a 240 lasted cap toe balmoral to replace my Park Aves, but it looks like Brooks only offers a perf captoe, not a straight captoe.

Agreed. I prefer the straight captoe more than the perforated captoe.

You might want to double check but from what I remember, C&J sizes half difference (e.g., UK 9 = US 9.5). Maybe others can confirm?

I think it depends on the last. It is a full size for some and a half size for others, so someone would have to comment on the 236 last. I think the 348 last is one full size.

Last edited:

clock

Reaction score
I agree with Winston S. I wear 1 size smaller in C&J last 348 but only 0.5 size smaller in last 337 and 341 than my US size. I don't have last 230

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should get this thread moving again... Forecast: 98 degrees currently and chance of rain AND hail (yes, hail) tonight = Islay!
7597303182_ec3ddffdd8.jpg

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only on SF would $500 shoes be called el cheapo.

Anyway, be careful with conditioner on the bench grades. I used this stuff on a pair of AEs and Alfred Sargents with no ill effects, and yet after applying, letting sit, and wiping with a wet towel, I was left with the removal of the finish on my beechnut (el cheapo) mertons and hallams. I freaked a bit, but after applying some saphir polish, they are back to their proper glory.

The leather is nicely soft and has a nice matte shine which I prefer. Still love the 348 last and these in particular.

IMG_0367.jpg

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of conditioner do you use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads