• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Nat Jag

Reaction score
@Nat Jag Haha! Visiting this thread doesnt do anyone any good in preventing further purchasing! Most likely the exact opposite :)

Those Brecon looks so good by the way, they are on the my try-list next time i am around a C&J dealer. Which models do you own from C&J in total?

@MrUnderwood Thanks, I currently have 3 C&J models, Brecon, Hallams, Edgware, plus one by Bodilys made by C&J, Bruton suede Chukkas. Not much compared to most on here. Still undecided on my next pair.

JKSR116

Reaction score
Hey Andrew, you should go to the CJ MTO Central thread, there are at least a couple of GMTO on shell for the Dundee and Galway II, there might be others.

Hi. A GMTO was submitted in November last year for E-width brown shell Lindricks. I understand that they are due around late May.

As @oskrusa says, there are open GMTOs on that thread for (brown) Dundees and (whiskey) Galways, amongst others.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own the Connaught in chestnut?

I’m considering a pair and was wondering if they come recommended? They seem a classic cap toe Oxford and I like C&J that I have experienced so far.

Also any sizing comparison with 325 last would be good to know.

The 325 is more generous (has more volume) last compared to 236. The Connaught on 236 is strictly a Oxford style and fits more close to the foot, IMO.

The Chestnut on Connaught was always a bit too loud for my taste, even for Summer wear. I have them in Black Calf and Dark Brown Suede.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own the Connaught in chestnut?

I’m considering a pair and was wondering if they come recommended? They seem a classic cap toe Oxford and I like C&J that I have experienced so far.

Also any sizing comparison with 325 last would be good to know.
I may have told you that I carried out an experiment last year, purchasing the Connaught and Consul. I was far more impressed with the latter. Please consider trying on both before taking the plunge. :)

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have told you that I carried out an experiment last year, purchasing the Connaught and Consul. I was far more impressed with the latter. Please consider trying on both before taking the plunge. :)

Yes, I remember! I had the similar experience with the CJ Chiltern Chukka vs Church's Ryder chukka.

Ryder is far more comfortable, whereas the Chiltern is probably the harshest style for my feet. Such a strange last - tight in the middle, narrow in the front, making my heel almost eject with each step .. Heard the similar experience from other members as well..

The Reiver asked about the last comparison solely, but the closest rival in the price range is the Church's Consul if he want to give it a try. Though, many doesn't like the overall aesthetic of Church's oxfords lately ..

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I do remember that and I did look into the Consul but I can get a really good price on a Chestnut Connaught at the moment and it is in the exact size I need.

I would definitely consider the Consul but I'd be looking at approx £200 more which I couldn't justify as I don't wear oxfords often.

I'm not even 100% sure I'm going to go for the Connaught, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my Loake Aldwych

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 325 is more generous (has more volume) last compared to 236. The Connaught on 236 is strictly a Oxford style and fits more close to the foot, IMO.

The Chestnut on Connaught was always a bit too loud for my taste, even for Summer wear. I have them in Black Calf and Dark Brown Suede.

Is it quite a bright brown? I didn't get that impression from photos.

Obviously black and brown suede are more subtle.

I wear a UK 10 1/2 in Coniston and can get a good deal on a Uk 11 Connaught which sounds like it might work.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a UK 10 1/2 in Coniston and can get a good deal on a Uk 11 Connaught which sounds like it might work.

The chestnut tend to stick out from the rest of my wardrobe, bringing more attention to the shoes. This can be a cool thing if you wear a more casual style like the loafers during summer months teamed with lighter colors, but I am not so sure about the Oxfords, even though the Chestnut is a classic colour worn for decades .. It's a highly subjective thing, really ..

Regarding the size, the 325 is a bit more generous last compared to 236, IMO, but I am not sure if the 236 will work in a half size larger size. I wouldn't recommend it, tbh.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chestnut tend to stick out from the rest of my wardrobe, bringing more attention to the shoes. This can be a cool thing if you wear a more casual style like the loafers during summer months teamed with lighter colors, but I am not so sure about the Oxfords, even though the Chestnut is a classic colour worn for decades .. It's a highly subjective thing, really ..

Regarding the size, the 325 is a bit more generous last compared to 236, IMO, but I am not sure if the 236 will work in a half size larger size. I wouldn't recommend it, tbh.

You could have a point. I'll have a think and if I decide to go for them then I can always return if too big.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Islay
IMG_2509.jpg

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are a 10.5 with a boot, you are taking a big - and not advisable - gamble going for a half size larger with an oxford. Once again, consider going to a store and trying on the shoes. You might think you’re saving money on this deal, but if they don’t fit and/or aren’t comfortable, it’s money down the drain. I have been your guinea pig. Time to make the sensible choices. I’m sure a size 10 (perhaps your best bet) Consul in walnut will become available at a reduced price in the not too distant future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads