• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galway II
D5A73686-B358-4F6F-A6C4-B76724938D88.jpeg

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think nobody should try to darken the Tan Conistons. So much character in that colour. If keen, just buy the regular Dark Brown Scotch Grain.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think nobody should try to darken the Tan Conistons. So much character in that colour. If keen, just buy the regular Dark Brown Scotch Grain.

They didn't sell the dark brown when I purchased and initially I didn't like the tan as much as I do now. Fortunately my efforts were reversable

pwc008

Reaction score
Anyone know what last the Thierry model was on? Recently acquired a pair and the markings inside (9769 12 9 1/2 E X49273) confuse me. I have always wanted to order a pair from C&J, who will make it up for me (I asked) but I have always been concerned with sizing as I go between a 9 and 9.5 UK E in C&J, and even within the same last. So, I bought these for a good price, hoping to determine my size. I think these may have been a custom order for someone, as I do not recognize the numbers.

Sure would appreciate some help.

Gorgeous shoe by the way, fits me very well.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same 'problem' as lasgun but am quite happy with my darkened Tan pair. The colour, even when darkenend to a chestnuty colour, is much richer than that of the regular dark brown. I think lasgun's pair looks great as they are now. I agree that if you want dark brown then just get the dark brown ones off the shelf.

They didn't sell the dark brown when I purchased and initially I didn't like the tan as much as I do now. Fortunately my efforts were reversable
Yours look great! Still a tad darker and richer than 'new' tan.

Andrew Carkhuff

Reaction score
Just bought my first pair of Crockett & Jones (oiled teak conistons) and kind of took a gamble on sizing. I measure a 12D on the brannock scale and went with a 10.5UK because I hear that you should go half size down for the 325 last (also that was the only pair near my size). Hoping they work out!

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first pair of Crockett & Jones (oiled teak conistons) and kind of took a gamble on sizing. I measure a 12D on the brannock scale and went with a 10.5UK because I hear that you should go half size down for the 325 last (also that was the only pair near my size). Hoping they work out!

Hey Andrew - I came across your post about buying these from skyvalet on the Alden page. If the size doesn't work out for you, and you're open to tan or dark brown grain or roughout suede, check out one of the UK retailers or C&J UK mail order. Even without the 10% discount that skyvalet offers, you'll end up saving ~$125 or more depending on model and exchange rate. For eg. Robert Old offers Dark Brown Rough-Out Suede Consitons at £333.33 ex VAT (~360 USD at current rates) + £18 standard shipping.

https://www.robertold.co.uk/crockett-and-jones-coniston-dark-brown-rough-out-suede-boots

In any case, I'm sure you'll love the Consitons. The 325 and Aberdeen lasts are my favorite for both comfort and style. 325 has more room in the toe box than the Aberdeen, but I find it TTS.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Um, £333 is more like $427 but your strategy is sound.
Ordering from the uk to us is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads