1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Caligula77

Caligula77 Senior Member

Much appreciated- picked up a pair of suede Sydney’s.

2. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Senior Member

3. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior Member

These Skye 2's are lightening up quite well. I am really impressed with the underlying color.

IMG_0012.jpg

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Beautiful! That’s the color I wish my Lindricks would develop.

How long have you had those?

5. oskrusa

oskrusa Active Member

Damn, those are stunning.

I just received my Skye 2 pair yesterday. They are very dark but it gets me really excited when I see yours.

Have you conditioned your pair at all? If so, do you mind sharing what process/products have you been using?

6. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

That is a really beautiful shade of brown they’ve developed. Very nice!

7. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

Please forgive if this is common knowledge but I'm wondering, does C&J make George Cleverly's RTW shoes? If so, is it to main line or hand grade standards?

8. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Are you asking because of the Mr. Porter sale ;) ?

C&J makes the mainline GC shoes. The Kingsman ones are made by Alfred Sargent to handgrade standards, and the Anthony Cleverley line is made by Edward Green, supposedly.

The mainline GC shoes fall in between benchgrade and handgrade in terms of quality. Nice finishing with a closed channel sole. But the leather on C&J handgrade is a lot better.

That said, I love the GC makeups and picked up a pair of boots from Mr. Porter for a ridiculously cheap price.

9. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior Member

Thank you. Almost 2 years now.

10. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior Member

So on this pair I have only used Saphir Renovateur once or twice. I haven't used any other product on them at all. I typically just brush them and occasionally wipe them down with a damp cloth. I always store them in dust bags with shoe trees.

11. mosy

Well the sale is what caught my attention but unfortunately there's nothing left in my size. But I'm in the hunt for a pair of black calf double monks and while browsing I saw the "Thomas" model by GC. It got me wondering, if I had to choose between the C&J Lowndes, the Peal & Co. version, or the GC Thomas, which should I go for? They are all made by C&J but where am I getting the best deal?

12. othertravel

The best deal would be determined by the type of price you could get. If the Lowndes and the GC were the same price, I'd lean toward the GC since it's a bit more classic in shape. But the Lowndes is still a great shoe. The Peal option would be last.

13. othertravel

Here's the Lowndes with an extra 20% off with code SHOES20

https://www.paulstuart.com/brown-leather-double-monk-strap.html

https://www.paulstuart.com/black-double-monk-strap.html

14. mosy

Other than the more classic shape of the GC, are there any other differences between that and the Lowndes? Did you not say earlier that GC is somewhere between C&J main line and handgrade? Wouldn't that put the GC somewhere above the Lowndes in terms of quality, finishing, etc?
    And you say the Peal option would be last. Can you explain? Do you not like the shape? What about quality - where does it stand compared to C&J mainline and GC?

15. othertravel

A lot of it is preference. Yes the finishing on the sole is better on the GC. But it's only a cosmetic feature. Doesn't mean better construction per se. The finishing on the leather itself is comparable to C&J benchgrade (meaning great, but not as good as handgrade).

The Lowndes is a great shoe, and I love the 348 last. That said, if it's my first double monk, I'd lean toward a more classic shape. The 348 is very chiseled (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I just don't like the Peal lasts. Personal preference as they don't work well with my feet.

My advice is to go for the model you like the most. The functional/quality differences between GC benchgrade, C&J benchgrade, and Peal are negligible and would only be appreciated by shoe nerds (like me!).