1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Do you have a very low instep? Even your Church's Consul facing are completed closed. The problem is that you can size down on slimmer fitting lasts, this may be that you are a real size 8.5, not a 9.

2. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Senior Member

@wurger - could you possibly confirm no typo on the Skye II on sale? I was thrilled to see that but just got a note back from C&J with the politest version of “Are you mad, why would we do that?”

Fingers crossed as I’ve been hoping to trade out my Islays in 7UK for the Skye in 7.5... kids, the internet sometimes lies to you about going 1.5 sizes down, and your instep will be greatly angered by it!

3. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

I have no idea about the instep talk. The Consul are a G fitting. That might explain some things. In my view, the facing should be closed. I think I have seen some of your pictures with the facing looks wide open. I am a ‘snug’ 8.5, which isn’t what I generally like. With thin dress socks the 8.5 is just nice.

4. wurger

I just copy pasted from her email, may be she did a mistake.

5. wurger

I have a high instep, so I do have a wider V gap in some shoes. Ideally speaking, The facing should not be completely closed when the shoes are new, as leather will stretch and the gap will close up a bit. The lacing won’t be able tighten up any more once the V gap is closed.

6. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

I’m happy with what I have right now. :)

7. Vinilo1969

Vinilo1969 Senior Member

I am slowly breaking in my Crockett and Jones Swansea brown suedes. One way I make them easier to wear and remove is to leave the top eyelets unlaced. Still use the shoe horn though. IMG_1319.JPG

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

Totally agree with this. If the V gap closes when new, the shoes would be too loose for me by the time they have stretched and broken in.

9. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

10. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

11. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

12. wurger

Interesting fact about Robert Old when I was emailing Gemma, it's different to other online stores where they have a restricted supply and submit a limited monthly order to Crockett and Jones.

"We have regular deliveries from Crockett and Jones, usually once a week. We have a long standing relationship with Crockett and Jones so we can order any time of the month."

Now the package has cleared customers after duties... :(, I should have them this week.

13. Evergreen88

Evergreen88 Active Member

Hi wurger, do you know if the sale started in the London stores already? And do you know when they will start it online (assuming they do it, I am not very familiar with brand yet)?

EDIT: I just checked and they announced on the site. My understanding is that they don't do any kind of sale on their site, but only in store.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

14. wurger

you can order the pairs on my post at the discount price via mailorder.

15. Evergreen88

Evergreen88 Active Member

Thanks for the info, this weekend I will go have a look at their Jermyn Street store!