1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Wingtip77

Wingtip77 Well-Known Member

That's a great outcome. They really are a beautiful pair of boots.

2. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Senior Member

Thank you. :)

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Hopefully after a number of wear this will be a minor issue. I used to be picky about brogues being aligned or this stitch and that but I usually forget about it after I started wearing them. Now when I pretty much tell myself that if I don't notice something at the shop or again when I look them over when I get home, it's not something I worry about.

4. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Senior Member

To be honest with you, I have never bothered to give my C&J footwear the old magnifying glass treatment when at the shop like a true aficionado. But I will do in future. Remember, I am just a ‘newbie’. lol ;)

5. Paul902

Paul902 New Member

Hi gents, I'm a new member. The past few weeks this thread and the boots*3 thread have drawn me in like a black hole. You guys have some spectacular footwear!

I'm generally a 9.5D US / 42.5 EU. I have two pair of AE on their 108 last, the Delray and Clark Streets. They fit well on my slim feet. Perfect at the heel, a touch of room through the arch, and hug the side of my toes. Anyone have shoes on the AE 108 that can comment on how the fit compares to C&J 348 last? What size would you suggest for Northcotes?

Thanks,
    Paul

6. papado

papado Well-Known Member

1 size down works for me from US to C&J [my only pair is the merton on the 348 last]; 8.5E should work for you in C&J 348 last.

7. Paul902

Paul902 New Member

Thanks for your input. 1 size down seems to be the rule of thumb. Do you have experience with the 108 specifically, or US in general? The 108 and 348 both have somewhat elongated toes and I was hoping to get a direct comparison.

8. Watchman1

Watchman1 Distinguished Member

X-Post from the Shell Cordovan Thread:

[​IMG]

Whiskey Harlech and Harris Tweed

Happy Wednesday!

9. papado

papado Well-Known Member

I did have a pair of Mora 2.0 which I believe was on the 108--not one of my favorite lasts [personally] but was US 11D, my typical size. I'm a solid 11D US across all AE lasts and standard sizing conversions (10E UK C&J/JLP + 10.5E UK EG/G&G). You should have no issues in terms of fit from my experiences.

10. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Distinguished Member

11. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

I’m an 11D brannock. Though the 108 looks slim, I don’t think it actually is. I’m actually between 10.5D and 11D on the 108, and I take 10UK in the 348. One full size down in the 348 (8.5 UK for you) would give you similar room in the toes, perhaps a touch more room in the instep, and a snugger heel. I’m a bit torn - the 108 instep room suggests to me that you may be able to go down to 8, but I think the heel might be too small for you (the 108 has a larger heel, especially in derbies like you have).

I think 8.5 UK would be the right starting point; since it’s a derby boot you would have some flexibility in managing instep room. It’s possible you might be able to go down to 8, but I’m pretty sure that 9 would not work. Hope this helps ....