• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quik Rundown on Post-Christmas Sales in Manhattan

mussel

Reaction score
Saks - For 12/26 only, 50% off ticketed price before noon and 40% after. Not many shoes left by the time I got there. There're some Cheaneys marked down to $112. Gianluca Isaia suit down to $860. Lucino Barbera Collezoni Sartoriale suit $1000. Zegna suits $730. H&K shirt $75.

Brooks Bros. - 25% off all shoes except cordovans which are $50 off. $698 on all Golden Fleece suits. Add'l 15% off entire purchase thru 12/27, cordovan excluded.

Zegna flagship - 40% off fall/winter merchandises including all suits, shirts, ties, leather jackets...

Barneys - 2nd marked down, about 50% off original prices including some C&J Handgrade & suits.

Bergdorf - 40% off almost storewide. Lattanzi marked down from $3000 to only $1800, Kiton shoes to $1200, John Lobb to $560, Borrelli shirts to $250.

C21 - Many things on main floor are on sale. On balcony level (where the gems are), some Brioni jackets are marked down to $800. No sales on Brioni & Isaia suits. I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects, there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams. Very unsightly. Saks had better deals on suits.

Stores that had no sign of sales - Hermes flagship, Lattanzi, Domenico Vacca, Borrelli, Kiton, John Lobb, Santoni, Asprey Brioni.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful, thank you. I'll just note, with regard to the BB cordovans, that if you buy the loafers online, you not only get the $50 off but also the 15% off, working out to around $370.

Geronimo

Reaction score
 I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects,  there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams.  Very unsightly.  
That is called a "Napolitan shoulder" which is  done by Napolitan tailors such as Kiton, Borrelli and Isaia. Some people (including me) love this type of shoulder which has been attached by hand to the jacket.

This is what I love about C21 customers, like the staff they do not know much about tailoring. Once, about 4 years ago, I spotted a Zegna napoli 3 buttons blue cashmere jacket Zegna napoli for $399. One of the few guy helping on the floor told me that few people looked at it because it was missing the sleeves buttons (which were in the pocket)

G.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mussel @ 26 Dec. 2004, 9:12) Â I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects, Â there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams. Â Very unsightly. Â
That is called a "Napolitan shoulder" which is  done by Napolitan tailors such as Kiton, Borrelli and Isaia. Some people (including me) love this type of shoulder which has been attached by hand to the jacket. This is what I love about C21 customers, like the staff they do not know much about tailoring. Once, about 4 years ago, I spotted a Zegna napoli 3 buttons blue cashmere jacket Zegna napoli for $399.  One of the few guy helping on the floor told me that few people looked at it because it was missing the sleeves buttons (which were in the pocket) G.
I also saw the "indentation" along the shoulder seams on the Isaia suits in C21. I was wondering whether they're defects or imperfection of hand tailoring. The "indentation", about 1/2" wide, looks like railway track and is on the shoulder running parallel to the seam. It appears on many but not all of C21 Isaia suits. Furthermore, I've never observed such "indentation" on Kiton, Borrelli & Isaia suits at Saks, Barneys and Bergdorf or Kiton/Borrelli shops. If the said "indentation" is a signature feature of Neapolitan tailoring, how come it's only found in number of suits at C21 but not at Saks or Bergdorf? Can anyone elaborate?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the said "indentation" is a signature feature of Neapolitan tailoring, how come it's only found in number of suits at C21 but not at Saks or Bergdorf?

Can anyone elaborate?
When the Italian makers make clothes for the american market they are different from what you would buy in Europe, Japan, etc... Merchandise even varies by store. For the most part, that indentation in the sleeve does not favor American taste, so places like Saks will not stock them and the makers will not maufacture them for America.

C21 gets any overstock they can, most of it is from overseas, thus a few oddities will show up.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...the Neopolitan puckered sleevehead. Beautiful...

I'm sure others can help elaborate, but it comes from having a sleeve circumference greater than that of the armhole. You see this feature in Neopolitan shirts as well as suits. It's one of the features I'd insist on if commissioning a bespoke suit.

Geronimo

Reaction score
I also saw the "indentation" along the shoulder seams on the Isaia suits in C21.  I was wondering whether they're defects or imperfection of hand tailoring.  The "indentation", about 1/2" wide, looks like railway track and is on the shoulder running parallel to the seam.  It appears on many but not all of C21 Isaia suits.
hmmm...your description does not look good, "parallel to the seam".

I will check them out this week as my office is not too far.

G.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
Saks - For 12/26 only, 50% off ticketed price before noon and 40% after.  Not many shoes left by the time I got there.  There're some Cheaneys marked down to $112.  Gianluca Isaia suit down to $860.  Lucino Barbera Collezoni Sartoriale suit $1000.  Zegna suits $730. H&K shirt $75.

Brooks Bros. - 25% off all shoes except cordovans which are $50 off.  $698 on all Golden Fleece suits.  Add'l 15% off entire purchase thru 12/27, cordovan excluded.

Zegna flagship - 40% off fall/winter merchandises including all suits, shirts, ties, leather jackets...

Barneys - 2nd marked down, about 50% off original prices including some C&J Handgrade & suits.

Bergdorf - 40% off almost storewide.  Lattanzi marked down from $3000 to only $1800, Kiton shoes to $1200, John Lobb to $560, Borrelli shirts to $250.

C21 - Many things on main floor are on sale.  On balcony level (where the gems are), some Brioni jackets are marked down to $800.  No sales on Brioni & Isaia suits.  I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects,  there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams.  Very unsightly.  Saks had better deals on suits.

Stores that had no sign of sales - Hermes flagship, Lattanzi, Domenico Vacca, Borrelli, Kiton, John Lobb, Santoni, Asprey Brioni.
i have been making the rounds and agree with most of this, except Barney's only has a couple of Handgrade models on sale and just a few sizes in each. Nice Arny's ties at 50 percent off. Santoni has 4-5 models reduced. The Kiton shoes I saw at Bergodorf's were cut from $2950 to$1950. The shoe sale at Paul Stuart continues; some Grensons at $289; 2 models at $189. Nothing else on sale yet.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mussel @ 26 Dec. 2004, 9:12) Saks - For 12/26 only, 50% off ticketed price before noon and 40% after. Â Not many shoes left by the time I got there. Â There're some Cheaneys marked down to $112. Â Gianluca Isaia suit down to $860. Â Lucino Barbera Collezoni Sartoriale suit $1000. Â Zegna suits $730. H&K shirt $75. Brooks Bros. - 25% off all shoes except cordovans which are $50 off. Â $698 on all Golden Fleece suits. Â Add'l 15% off entire purchase thru 12/27, cordovan excluded. Zegna flagship - 40% off fall/winter merchandises including all suits, shirts, ties, leather jackets... Barneys - 2nd marked down, about 50% off original prices including some C&J Handgrade & suits. Bergdorf - 40% off almost storewide. Â Lattanzi marked down from $3000 to only $1800, Kiton shoes to $1200, John Lobb to $560, Borrelli shirts to $250. C21 - Many things on main floor are on sale. Â On balcony level (where the gems are), some Brioni jackets are marked down to $800. Â No sales on Brioni & Isaia suits. Â I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects, Â there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams. Â Very unsightly. Â Saks had better deals on suits. Stores that had no sign of sales - Hermes flagship, Lattanzi, Domenico Vacca, Borrelli, Kiton, John Lobb, Santoni, Asprey Brioni.
i have been making the rounds and agree with most of this, except Barney's only has a couple of Handgrade models on sale and just a few sizes in each. Nice Arny's ties at 50 percent off. Santoni has 4-5 models reduced. The Kiton shoes I saw at Bergodorf's were cut from $2950 to$1950. The shoe sale at Paul Stuart continues; some Grensons at $289; 2 models at $189. Nothing  else on sale yet.
The pair that market down from $2950 to $1950 was actually Lattanzi, the Kitons were marked down from $2000 to arond $1200. Where did you see the reduced Santonis? At Barneys or at Santoni shop? Do you remember which models were reduced and what price? Did you get yourself anything?

rsp1

Reaction score
I hit Barneys and Bergdorf today.

Barneys was very disappointing - only a few items had additional markdowns. Almost all sale shirts were either house brand or Ike Behar. Somewhat better tie selection. The shoes had additional markdowns, but the selection was VERY poor. They did have some Kiton suits on sale, but the rest (Zegna, HF) were very picked-over

Bergdorf was a treasure trove of sales. I poured through Charvet, Frey, Etro, Zegna and Borrelli shirts marked-down 40%. There was a huge selection of ties available as well. They had Incotex pants and most everything Zegna on sale as well. Some of the designer labels were 70% off, but I didn't spend as much time looking at these. As for shoes - the Kitons just received an additional markdown to $980. I picked up a Charvet shirt and Incotex pair of slacks.

EDIT: Barneys doesn't have Santonis - he must have been referring to their shop on Madison.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Stuart's sale officially starts tomorrow. It unofficially started today. I stopped by after work and took a walk through. They seem to put all their crap or stuff from prior seasons on sale. I looked at some of the sale suits in my size. They seemed to be the low gorge suits of the early 1990s. I am not familiar with their suit styles, but I cannot imagine they sell that low gorge stuff currently. There was a limited spread of awful ties, some hideous sweaters, and atrocious sport shirts. Overall, not a good sale. The shoe sale, which began a few weeks ago, was and is excellent.

Biggs

Reaction score
Paul Stuart's sale officially starts tomorrow.  It unofficially started today.  I stopped by after work and took a walk through. They seem to put all their crap or stuff from prior seasons on sale.  I looked at some of the sale suits in my size.  They seemed to be the low gorge suits of the early 1990s.  I am not familiar with their suit styles, but I cannot imagine they sell that low gorge stuff currently.  There was a limited spread of awful ties, some hideous sweaters, and atrocious sport shirts.  Overall, not a good sale.  The shoe sale, which began a few weeks ago, was and is excellent.
Was there a new stock of Grensons and were their prices further reduced?

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
(jerrysfriend @ 28 Dec. 2004, 05:15)
Originally Posted by mussel,26 Dec. 2004, 9:12
Saks - For 12/26 only, 50% off ticketed price before noon and 40% after. Â Not many shoes left by the time I got there. Â There're some Cheaneys marked down to $112. Â Gianluca Isaia suit down to $860. Â Lucino Barbera Collezoni Sartoriale suit $1000. Â Zegna suits $730. H&K shirt $75. Brooks Bros. - 25% off all shoes except cordovans which are $50 off. Â $698 on all Golden Fleece suits. Â Add'l 15% off entire purchase thru 12/27, cordovan excluded. Zegna flagship - 40% off fall/winter merchandises including all suits, shirts, ties, leather jackets... Barneys - 2nd marked down, about 50% off original prices including some C&J Handgrade & suits. Bergdorf - 40% off almost storewide. Â Lattanzi marked down from $3000 to only $1800, Kiton shoes to $1200, John Lobb to $560, Borrelli shirts to $250. C21 - Many things on main floor are on sale. Â On balcony level (where the gems are), some Brioni jackets are marked down to $800. Â No sales on Brioni & Isaia suits. Â I believe the Isaia suits are of second quality or rejects, Â there're some kind of impression/indentation along the shoulder-sleeve seams. Â Very unsightly. Â Saks had better deals on suits. Stores that had no sign of sales - Hermes flagship, Lattanzi, Domenico Vacca, Borrelli, Kiton, John Lobb, Santoni, Asprey Brioni.
i have been making the rounds and agree with most of this, except Barney's only has a couple of Handgrade models on sale and just a few sizes in each. Nice Arny's ties at 50 percent off. Santoni has 4-5 models reduced. The Kiton shoes I saw at Bergodorf's were cut from $2950 to$1950. The shoe sale at Paul Stuart continues; some Grensons at $289; 2 models at $189. Nothing  else on sale yet.
The pair that market down from $2950 to $1950 was actually Lattanzi, the Kitons were marked down from $2000 to arond $1200. Where did you see the reduced Santonis? Â At Barneys or at Santoni shop? Â Do you remember which models were reduced and what price? Did you get yourself anything?
You are right about the prices at Bergdorfs-it was the Latazzini at the $1,950 price. Three of the 5 Kitons have been cut again to $975. The Santoni's are at its Maison Ave shop. 3-4 models cut in price, including a nice wingtip fom the top line-maybe about $545-sorry, fuzy memory. I bought: at Saks -one Isaia sportcoat reduced from $1795/$1346/$673; three shirts-1 H&K at $225/$150/$75 and 2 Hield of Savile Row at $225/$168/$84. Went to Gentlemen's Resale at 81st near 2nd Ave and got brand new with Bergdorf's tags Cifonelli navy blue double breasted suit with side vents for $450 and an Isaia double breasted sportcoat (looked new, but no tags) with working button-holes sportcoat which looked brand newfor $112.50, reduced from their normal $225. Will try Paul Stuart today and report on shoe prices, etc. Understand Asprey (56th and 5th) sale starts today-some 50% off. Does it carry EG?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any handgrade C&Js left on the sale rack at Barney's although there were a few benchgrade models for $275 or so. Lots of Lidfort, Pelusi, and Harris shoes along with Zegna, Prada, and Gucci. I didn't see anything special and would rather hit the warehouse sale and see if any handgrades slip through.

dan

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I second the comment about the poor selection of shirts at the Paul Stuart sale. Some really hideous bright pinks and purples, lime greens, etc. Maybe if you live in Palm Beach and wear elastic-waist trousers and white leather slip-ons, you could get away with that stuff, but in NYC, get real.

The really good shirts from the fall collection, i.e. stuff that you could actually wear at the office or on a date, are still tucked safely behind the glass and are not on sale.

Lots of shoes on sale, thankfully. They also seem to have some newer, i.e. styling slightly updated from last season Grensons, but those are not on sale. Limited sizes in the Grensons that are on sale. Many of the Stuart's Choice shoes are marked down to ~275 from 575, and one pair was less than 200. The rubber-soled Grensons are marked down from 385 to 194.

I went to the store last night so if anyone goes to PS today, keep us all updated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics