• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Thoughts: Gap Low Rise Straight Fit Japanese Selvedge Jeans

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As worn here:
imgp3341gp8.jpg
Perhaps more of a Sufu type thread, but just some of my thoughts on the Gap Low Rise Straight Fit Japanese Selvedge jeans they currently stock. Maybe some pictures as well if people are interested. Picked it up yesterday with 30% off Friends and Family coupon. Fit: About 1 size bigger than tagged in the waist, but slims down in the hip/thigh area. A fairly straight down cut, no taper at all. Without a belt, the waist is too big while the hips are a good fit; perhaps ****** got fatter recently. With a belt it fits perfectly. Denim: Fairly light weight denim, kind of rigid. Not as much as brand new raw Nudies or APC, but more like RRL's or Earnest Sewn. A very nice deep blue, not very slubby. Selvedge-line coin pocket. Construction: No complaints, feels fairly solid. Serge stitching on the inseam is nice, even and tight, Details and features: Visible selvedge coin pocket as described earlier, copper rivets, hidden rivets on back pocket, donut-style top button, leather patch. All in all, a decent jean around $60. The color and feel of the denim is quite nice; fits well in the thigh and leg, and I do like the small details like hidden rivets and the leather patch stitching. Although it would have been nicer if the waist was a tad smaller.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it in-store as well, and thought it seemed decent. I think it certainly compares favorably to H&M Sliqs. But I like heavy-weight denim.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I picked up a pair during the last big sale at the end of summer for $12.50. I agree with your comments. Not a bad pair of jeans.

PINOY BALLER

Reaction score
Got a pair not too long ago.

Definitely in my rotation.

Pretty good quality too.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
I picked up a pair during the last big sale at the end of summer for $12.50. I agree with your comments. Not a bad pair of jeans.

i'm almost positive the ones you picked up for $13 bucks =/= the low rise straight with hidden rivets. Maybe you got the Williamsburgs or Goughs.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I sold them to Crossroads Clothing a week and a half ago but I know that they weren't the Williamsburg and not sure about them being Goughs. They had a dark 1969 leather patch, the "Authentic Japanese Denim" script in the interior of the waistband, blue/white selvedge. Oh well.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I saw it in-store as well, and thought it seemed decent. I think it certainly compares favorably to H&M Sliqs. But I like heavy-weight denim.

These and the Sliqs are different cuts. The difference won't go away no matter how far you size down on the GAPs.

Originally Posted by pitboss12
I sold them to Crossroads Clothing a week and a half ago but I know that they weren't the Williamsburg and not sure about them being Goughs. They had a dark 1969 leather patch, the "Authentic Japanese Denim" script in the interior of the waistband, blue/white selvedge. Oh well.

Gough = white patch (a la 5EP) and red selvedge. Low rise straight fit as well.

re: denim quality, from what I've seen Gough > Morrison/Williamsburg/the 1969 jeans. Haven't seen the version sonick reviewed, so not sure how they rank.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I got these as well, unfortunately I'm losing weight and after two weeks they are too big for me.

I found it odd that in those two weeks the back pocket rivets are already busting out and there's a slight button-fly fade.

AB01

Reaction score
All my Gap (and Guess) jeans are too big on me. I'm cautious to buy from Gap again. I have the Japanese Low-rise boot cut - 1 extra pair never worn that maybe I'll just sell.
I liked it at first, but Edward Sewn regular rise and straight leg are my best jeans when it comes to fit. Maybe low-rise is not for me since jeans always stretch.

Anyway to shrink jeans long-term?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread before I stumbled on a pair of low rise straight fit today. I've been looking for a while for a inexpensive, good fitting jean that I wouldn't be afraid to thrash. These jeans fit the bill beautifully Cut is very similar to to the Earnest Sewn Fulton which is IMO one of the best fitting jeans on the market. Construction looks good, as does the back pocket placement/design. My pair is not selvedge, but the denim (raw, black) is surprisingly nice. It looks better than a lot of $100+ jeans I've seen. Even @ the $55 retail price I highlhy recommend these, they should be on the short list in the sub $100 range.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I hadn't seen this thread before I stumbled on a pair of low rise straight fit today. I've been looking for a while for a inexpensive, good fitting jean that I wouldn't be afraid to thrash. These jeans fit the bill beautifully Cut is very similar to to the Earnest Sewn Fulton which is IMO one of the best fitting jeans on the market. Construction looks good, as does the back pocket placement/design. My pair is not selvedge, but the denim (raw, black) is surprisingly nice. It looks better than a lot of $100+ jeans I've seen. Even @ the $55 retail price I highlhy recommend these, they should be on the short list in the sub $100 range.

How can you tell the ones you picked up are raw? Do they have something indicating they are? Most of their jeans are in the $50 range.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, I checked online and these are resin coated. They look raw though. They are dark with no fading whatsoever.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, they seem to be raw enough for what I gather and they're probably worth to have, especially considering that price
inlove.gif
smiley2.gif

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Actually, I checked online and these are resin coated. They look raw though. They are dark with no fading whatsoever.

Thanks for checking. I'm still looking for a pair of black raw jeans. I'll probably just go with Levi's since I haven't seen any at the Gaps around me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads