• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick snow boot question: Timberland or STP brands

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C'mon man, are you serious? And don't give me that "I'm from a tropical country" schtick. Get some boots for walking in the city. These are for hiking Mount Washington in January.

baffinrc4.jpg

MrRogers

Reaction score
You wont buy a topcoat until you find a proper one "with high armholes and all" yet your willing to be seen in public wearing these?

Get a decent pair of ankle boots with rubber soles and call it a day.

MrR

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am thinking that it is pointless for me to buy a topcoat in addition to the duffel coat I already have for campus use, when I can have a much better topcoat made the next time I go back to Southeast Asia.

As for the boots, I was concerned because I am apparently more sensitive to cold than I thought, and I was breaking out the wool coat and scarf well before a lot of other people.

Sorry for the tropical country schtick. A new friend of mine from Africa bought a pair of boots similar to the one above (edit: without really knowing what kind of boots are for what use), so I suppose he'd be giving the desert schtick or something analogous.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Actually, I am thinking that it is pointless for me to buy a topcoat in addition to the duffel coat I already have for campus use, when I can have a much better topcoat made the next time I go back to Southeast Asia.

As for the boots, I was concerned because I am apparently more sensitive to cold than I thought, and I was breaking out the wool coat and scarf well before a lot of other people.

Sorry for the tropical country schtick. A new friend of mine from Africa bought a pair of boots similar to the one above, so I suppose he'd be giving the desert schtick or something analogous.

I think you might want to invest in something like this to ensure you aren't harmed by the frigid conditions of downtown Boston...

image009.jpg

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorely tempted. This is the kind of advice a new friend from Moscow is giving as well.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I was breaking out the wool coat and scarf well before a lot of other people.

Good to know those three hundred posts and months of wardrobe planning paid off for you.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to know your 1,000th post was just for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timberlands aren't that good, IMO. Get some Gore-Tex hiking boots from a brand that makes that sort of thing. I have a pair of Vasque that has treated me very well last year. I walked around in blizzard condition and never got a wet toe. They don't look half bad either. When you're in a blizzard, the last thing you should worry about is how you look. Warm and dry toes become priority #1. BTW, my boots look like this: [URL='http://s7images.sierratradingpost.com/is/image/SierraTradingPost/72964_31?wid=600&hei=600&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.0,0.75,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0']http://s7images.sierratradingpost.co...0,0&iccEmbed=0[/URL]

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to know your 1,000th post was just for me.

Sure thing jose. I can't think of a more fitting post. After all, what would SF be without you? ... Nevermind, that was rhetorical.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Josepidal, I fear that your proposed bespoke topcoat from a tropical tailor will not bode well.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Timberlands that I bought back in the early 90's (when they were still being made in the U.S.). They're still going strong. I don't know about the current quality, but I imagine they'd survive at least one New England winter. Of course, many of their styles are now associate with hip-hop culture (to the extent you care about that).

You could always go with the Bean boots. You'll look like a real New Englander. Just be sure to get the thinsulate lined ones or buy heavy wool socks.

I think I've said this before, but since you're not going to be staying in New England for very long, I would resist the temptation to spend a lot of money on cold weather items.

grilledcheese

Reaction score
I think you need to go bespoke...

On the real, you're talking about boots to wear when it's slushy and snowy right? Who cares--get anything!

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Timberlands aren't that good, IMO. Get some Gore-Tex hiking boots from a brand that makes that sort of thing. I have a pair of Vasque that has treated me very well last year. I walked around in blizzard condition and never got a wet toe. They don't look half bad either. When you're in a blizzard, the last thing you should worry about is how you look. Warm and dry toes become priority #1.

BTW, my boots look like this:

[URL='http://s7images.sierratradingpost.com/is/image/SierraTradingPost/72964_31?wid=600&hei=600&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.0,0.75,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0']http://s7images.sierratradingpost.co...0,0&iccEmbed=0[/URL]

Jose I have had good luck with hiking boots from LL Bean. They work well for slush, snow and slippery conditions. They aren't too expensive so you won't have to lay out a lot of cash for a pair of boots you will use just for a winter or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads