1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quick shoe question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Dec 10, 2002.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

'D' and 'M' are considered the same, correct? I ordered a few pairs online and some showed 11D, some 11M, which I always thought was the same.

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior Member

If we're talking about an American D, yes. An English D would be narrower, if I'm not mistaken. (This is Bengal-stripe's [​IMG]tier.)

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The width of shoes is about the most vague criterion there is and depends very much from maker to maker. Both American D and M are about the same and mean average width. As the width is a measurement of all-round circumference and not a flat left to right one, its interpretation varies and it depends very much on whether you have a high or a flat instep. I find that European shoes, which don't came any longer in different width, tend to cut a higher instep than American ones.