Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quick Quoddy query (sizing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Apr 4, 2011.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Can't find a UK retailer who sells the Quoddys I want for summer: unlined grained camp moccasins with natural rubber sole. So I've decided to do the iGent thing and just order them from Maine via the interwebz. Problem: looking at their conversion chart, their sizes seem very small, unless I'm measuring my feet in the wrong way: http://www.quoddystore.com/SizeChart.pdf For reference, I wear a UK 7 in Clarks Desert Boots, UK7 in Church's, UK7.5 in Tricker's (C&J vary between 7 and 7.5), 40.5 in Vass New Peter, 8.5US in Sperry Top Siders. Any help with determining my Quoddy size would be much appreciated. Oh, and I have quite narrow feet, so I'd order them in the narrow fitting version.

2. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

8.5, they run tight in the toe area.

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

8.5, they run tight in the toe area.

Even if I'm getting them unlined? I'm a bit paranoid because even if they can be returned (not sure as they're MTO) it would take ages to get another pair. Cheers.

4. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Even if I'm getting them unlined? I'm a bit paranoid because even if they can be returned (not sure as they're MTO) it would take ages to get another pair. Cheers.

If I were you, I'd be leaning between a 7.5 and 8. Depends a little bit on intended use - unlined, without socks, I'd probably go 7.5; lined, with socks, probably 8.

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

If I were you, I'd be leaning between a 7.5 and 8. Depends a little bit on intended use - unlined, without socks, I'd probably go 7.5; lined, with socks, probably 8.

Great, now I've got the whole range between 7.5 and 8.5. Perhaps I should split the difference. It's just that 10 inches for a US8 seems a bit short, no? They would mostly be worn sockless or with very thin fil d'ecosse socks.

6. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Go with your Sperry size. I wear the same size in Quoddy as I do in Nike. I'd say athletic shoe sizing is about right. I ordered a pair online and was told they run true to size. I had to return them for 1/2 size larger. I suggest ordering the larger size.

7. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Go with your Sperry size. I wear the same size in Quoddy as I do in Nike. I'd say athletic shoe sizing is about right. I ordered a pair online and was told they run true to size. I had to return them for 1/2 size smaller. I suggest ordering the larger size.
    I'm beginning to lean that way. Yet you managed to get them too big!

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG] Learning mode for me. I am becoming intrigued by this brand as everyone who owns a pair on SF seems to love their Quoddys. This is a made to order brands, is it not? Does anyone sell them in Toronto Canada?

9. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

[​IMG] Learning mode for me. I am becoming intrigued by this brand as everyone who owns a pair on SF seems to love their Quoddys.
    This is a made to order brands, is it not? Does anyone sell them in Toronto Canada?

Not sure about Canada, but a handful of shops carry a small selection here in the UK. All their online orders are MTO.

10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Honestly, given my experiences with Quoddy's QC I'd be hesitant to place an international order for fear of having to go through the hassle/expense of a return. It's been a year or two since I bought my pair, so maybe things have gotten better.

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Honestly, given my experiences with Quoddy's QC I'd be hesitant to place an international order for fear of having to go through the hassle/expense of a return. It's been a year or two since I bought my pair, so maybe things have gotten better.

Ordered a pair in 8.5C from O'Connell's (at least it shouldn't take as long, and I've bought from them before). Fingers crossed.

12. dcg

dcg Senior member

^My pair came from them as well, and they were very responsive when I had issues (though I think I did end up paying return shipping - had gotten a great deal to begin with so wasn't going to complain).

13. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

I'm beginning to lean that way. Yet you managed to get them too big!

I meant 1/2 size bigger. Sorry. They were too small.