Quick Question To Watch Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by af1snaikboi, Mar 29, 2010.

1. af1snaikboi

af1snaikboi Senior member

I recently read an article (which i forgot the name of) in a publication (which I forgot the name of)

Basically it stated that there is a very respectable watch which is around or under I believe $100 which is deemed "the starter dress watch" for watch enthusiasts.

I'm basically in search of a cheap and respectable dress watch. Does such a model exist?

Thank You

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

4. RoyalPaJamas

RoyalPaJamas Senior member

Seiko 5 Auto for sure. Plenty of very nice looking watches for <$100.

5. ferry1950

ferry1950 Well-Known Member

While I love the Seiko Automatic (I have one i ordered from Tokyo), I think the article was in Esquire, in "essentials" and they were referring to the Swatch auto watch as a great starter watch andwas was selling for 89 pounds. I bought one in London last year, like it expect the band is a deep blue/black.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I had a Seiko 5 that broke after two months of use. Maybe that was just a fluke, but I don't see much of a reason to buy a non-fine mechanical watch these days unless you are a lover of mechanical watches (which I totally get). After all, a dress watch need not be mechanical. For $100, you can get a very nice and presentable quartz watch that will be at least as dependable as a Seiko 5.

7. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I had a Seiko 5 that broke after two months of use. Maybe that was just a fluke, but I don't see much of a reason to buy a non-fine mechanical watch these days unless you are a lover of mechanical watches (which I totally get). After all, a dress watch need not be mechanical. For $100, you can get a very nice and presentable quartz watch that will be at least as dependable as a Seiko 5.

I think yours was likely a fluke.

Mechanical watches represent an appreciation for the design and manufacturing, not really dependability (although if you're stuck on an island, the quartz will eventual run out).

8. mafoofan

Mechanical watches represent an appreciation for the design and manufacturing, not really dependability (although if you're stuck on an island, the quartz will eventual run out).

I get this--I am a watch enthusiast myself. My point is that a dress watch does not necessarily mean a mechanical watch. If your only goal is to get a dress watch for under $100, and your preferences are otherwise similar to most people's, quartz is probably your best bet.

9. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I get this--I am a watch enthusiast myself. My point is that a dress watch does not necessarily mean a mechanical watch. If your only goal is to get a dress watch for under $100, and your preferences are otherwise similar to most people's, quartz is probably your best bet.

oh, ok. Well then, I agree with you. Dress watches don't need to be mechanical.

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Well, you don't "need" a watch at all, epecially if you carry a phone, or work before a computer, etc.

However, I just have a thing against cheap quartz "mall" watches. But, that is me.

So many beautiful mechanical vintage watches out there that can be had for a song on E-Bay and will say so much more than a flat, plated POS with a battery you paid $100 for.

This IS the Style Forum, right??

Mike

11. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Well, you don't "need" a watch at all, epecially if you carry a phone, or work before a computer, etc.

Mike

I disagree, there are many times when I am in meetings, carrying files, in court, etc. where I cannot pull out my phone to check the time.

A watch is a subtle way to check the time and wouldn't be considered rude.

12. mafoofan

However, I just have a thing against cheap quartz "mall" watches. But, that is me.

So many beautiful mechanical vintage watches out there that can be had for a song on E-Bay and will say so much more than a flat, plated POS with a battery you paid $100 for.

This IS the Style Forum, right??

I love mechanical watches, but I don't see how a mechanical movement in one's watch affects his style. Yes, you don't need a watch to tell time anymore. But let's face it: men like to wear watches as a form of jewelry. Insofar as one wants a watch merely because he likes the way it looks on him, I think it's silly to pay extra for a mechanical one and deal with the lesser utility. And yes, it will cost extra. Even if you can get a cheap vintage watch, the service expense will far outstrip the cost of a battery change in a quartz watch.

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I get this--I am a watch enthusiast myself. My point is that a dress watch does not necessarily mean a mechanical watch.

I'm not sure about that. Is a clip-on tie really a tie? I would say that a dress watch with traditional design should be mechanical, whereas more modern designs are fine with quartz movements.

14. emc894

emc894 Senior member

I'm not sure about that. Is a clip-on tie really a tie? I would say that a dress watch with traditional design should be mechanical, whereas more modern designs are fine with quartz movements.

Quartz is superior in accuracy and reliability. I think its like Bemberg lining over silk or non natural thread.

15. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

If you follow a descriptive theory of naming, then a "watch" is defined by the common forms. Quartz certainly is popular and found in a lot of high-end makers' watches.

A quartz is a watch.