1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quick question on the rlpl/eg cardiffs...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Oct 7, 2004.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

the width of this shoe has been talked about several times here but I have yet to it agreed upon. I have wideÂ[​IMG] feet and usually wear an 11 in most dress shoes. I ordered the Cardiffs in a 10.5 as I saw several posts claiming it was a little longer than most. But what about width? I've seen it referred to as a UK F width, but I don't know what that translates to. A D width in SOME dress shoes (Alden for example) fit me fine, while others I need a EE. Thoughts?

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

The UK E width is less roomy on me than my Alden captoes from Brooks Brothers, but not significantly less roomy. I've also found the RLPL cardiffs to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. The heel has a comfortable amount of slippage -- I know that sounds crazy, but what I mean is that the shoe isn't tight, but after three wearings have already molded to my foot such that I could walk forever without blisters or arch pain at all. In terms of breaking in, my Aldens and the Greens kill all other shoes I've worn -- they get soft, but no weird creasing. But the Green's beat the Alden's hands down.

I think if you fit fine in D Aldens -- meaning, that it is the correct width on you -- you will probably find the Green's a little snug but nothing fatal.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I agree with everything johnnynorman3 said.  I have a medium-width foot and generally wear a size 10, but was swimming in the 10D Cardiffs.  The 9.5D Cardiffs were much better, but I still experienced some heel slippage.  I was willing to live with that; at worst, I would put in some Dr. Scholl's insoles.  Lo and behold, by the second wearing, the shoes fit perfectly.  They still feel great by the end of the day.

I assume that you wear an EE in Ferragamo, which runs insanely narrow.  If you have any To Boot New York shoes and wear an M, the Cardiffs should fit fine.

4. bigbadbuff

I do wear an EE in Ferragamo, but I seem to recall trying on To Boot oxfords 1 time and they were too tight [​IMG]

5. bigbadbuff

What a shame. Got them today and they are absolutely gorgeous, but are not wide enough for me. I see what everyone is talking about with the heel slippage- it's more prominent than in other dress shoes I own but not a big deal. If this is the widest last EG makes I can forget ever wearing them  [​IMG]  [​IMG]