• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick question: is this suit half or fully canvassed?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fused?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
NO WAI!
Ok... half fused?
smile.gif
Hand fused? Super fused?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Should be half.

That coat looks really short. Curse you, Ralph.

They're really not that short in real life. I'm almost positive that they find the lankiest, tallest models and give them an R when an L would really work better.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Time to go to sleep now. I guess calling Woodbury Commons tomorrow is a better idea.

I met someone from the RL store, so I could conceivably get the above suit for 50% off.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
They're really not that short in real life. I'm almost positive that they find the lankiest, tallest models and give them an R when an L would really work better.

I don't know about this one, but much of Ralph's stuff is pretty short these days. I'm returning a beautiful donegal sportcoat because the R is cut at least an inch too short.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So... when did the Polo RL line of suits get canvassing? Has something changed drastically in the past year or two?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
So... when did the Polo RL line of suits get canvassing? Has something changed drastically in the past year or two?

High-end (Italian made) Polo's been half for as long as I've been paying attention, if my memory's not playing tricks on me. The cheaper, department store Polo stuff is fused.

Back when the Polo line was made in the U.S., it was fully canvassed.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

All RL Polo stuff done in Italy, AFAIK is done by Corneliani. At least that is what seemingly well informed salesmen have told me.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I don't know about this one, but much of Ralph's stuff is pretty short these days. I'm returning a beautiful donegal sportcoat because the R is cut at least an inch too short.

That's odd, was it a standard Polo II cut? I know that the suits are .5" shorter than most others in my size, but an inch borders on the difference between a stature designation.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BlueMagic, for the record you know the suit is not available in 38R right?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
That's odd, was it a standard Polo II cut? I know that the suits are .5" shorter than most others in my size, but an inch borders on the difference between a stature designation.
I'm up to three things that have come in too short, even though I've traditionally been an R in Ralph's stuff. A suit and two sportcoats. Left some stuff on the rack, too. It's to the point I'm browsing the NWT eBay listings for longs, even though I wear a long in nothing else. I like my coats shortish, but not cropped so that the waist looks off.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
BlueMagic, for the record you know the suit is not available in 38R right?

Website says 38R is in stock...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads