• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quick question: Is this plaid tie supposed to be this short? Or should I return it?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got this at the Ralph Lauren store today. I can still return, as I still have the tag. Also, what are you guys' thoughts on the tie's general aesethetics for my color scheme?

appolyon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by short? It runs to the belt line just fine ... do you mean the blade of the tie?

If it can be tucked into the keeper I think it is fine.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no keeper, only the label tag, and that is too low to tuck the blade into.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap. Unfortunately, this picture shows me with a belly. I had 3 meals today and haven't taken a dump yet...

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length of your tie is just fine. What kind of knot did you put it in?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
The length of your tie is just fine. What kind of knot did you put it in?

Four in hand.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a watchband like that too.

Tie is not too short, a simple tie clip may help hold the back blade in place?

I don't have public restroom photos of myself though

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap. Unfortunately, this picture shows me with a belly. I had 3 meals today and haven't taken a dump yet...
- Take another pic after you have had a dump.. I'd say the tie will sit flatter!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no keeper, only the label tag, and that is too low to tuck the blade into.

I say go for the clip as well. But you can always find a good tailor to move the tag or put a keeper on for you.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the tie length; as for the color scheme, the orange watchband doesn't go with the tie at all. I'd go with one of these:

The more subdued tan would likely be most suitable.

No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap.
My daily go-to shirt. I do wish they had a non-distressed version, the collar roll is outstanding.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I agree about the watch strap. I basically just get whatever is in the sale box at J. Crew, so I only have 3 so far. All of them were really cheap, this one was only $2.99! And it is sort of in school colors... I wish I could intercept the shirts at the factory before they are distressed! What the fuck is a "durable" wash, anyways?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40