• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

quick question about the whole french cuff and interview thing

hanker565

Reaction score
ok so i have an interview coming up and my limited (but growing) wardrobe only has one quality white shirt that i like...problem is that it is a FC shirt and many members have vehemently protested wearing FC shirts to interviews because they are too fashionable

why if i use inconspicuous off-white silk knots and only show 1/4" sleeve so that the knots themselves barely show

would this be acceptable?

btw it's either gonna be the nice FC shirt or an old 50% polyester christian dior barrel cuff shirt

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't think it's a big deal.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps now is the time to invest in another nice white shirt?

I'm not sure the objection to double cuffs is that they're too fashionable. It's that the interviewer might have a negative reaction to them. They can be seen as a bit too showy for interview purposes, particularly for entry-level positions.

If another shirt isn't in the budget at the moment, you'll have to decide which shirt presents the least risk. If the poly blend is still in good shape and fits well, I'd be tempted to go with that. If not, then FC it is.

Either way, seems like you're going to need more than two white shirts.

hanker565

Reaction score
thanks for the input

right it probably is time to invest is some more shirts...

i think i'll probably stick with the FC for now...i generally do not come off as showy or arrogant so hopefully i'll be alright

i DO have a couple nice blue shirts but i think that white would be more appropriate here

interview is for an ibank internship

hanker565

Reaction score
on a different note, is there a LESS conspicuous way to hold together a FC shirt than silk knots?

i'm probably worrying too much about this and should just head over to filenes basement and get a shirt for 40 bucks
tounge.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Either way, seems like you're going to need more than two white shirts.

Bollocks. You only need a button down collar with barrel cuffs and a regular collar with double cuffs. And hell, if there's only ONE white shirt you own, it should be the latter.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Bollocks. You only need a button down collar with barrel cuffs and a regular collar with double cuffs. And hell, if there's only ONE white shirt you own, it should be the latter.
Uh, right.

If you want to fudge your FC shirt, you can roll it like a barrel cuff and put the link through that way. If you REALLY want to fudge it, make two links out of four buttons and thread and use that instead of knots. Then it will be nearly unnoticeable.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Call me crazy, but it's nice to have multiple white shirts, in case one needs to be washed or becomes damaged. Perhaps I live in a world of luxury. One can have a wardrobe full of other colors and patterns, but I can tell you now that having only one white shirt is a recipe for trouble.

Beyond that, I can't agree with your advice. I'd say a point collar with button cuffs is much more universal than the options you suggest. I wouldn't recommend either for an entry-level interview.

drake

Reaction score
This is brilliant.

Originally Posted by j
If you want to fudge your FC shirt, you can roll it like a barrel cuff and put the link through that way. If you REALLY want to fudge it, make two links out of four buttons and thread and use that instead of knots. Then it will be nearly unnoticeable.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
If one becomes damaged, isn't that why you buy a new one?
smile.gif

Pink22m

Reaction score
One can never have enough white shirts.

Or blue, or lavender...

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

That or when it is dirty. Cannot stand those professional launderers
smile.gif

pgoat

Reaction score
smile.gif

I try and never wear my 4 or 5 white shirts for just that reason - I save them for emergencies. interviews, funerals and the like.

I usually launder and iron my own shirts but I get the whites drycleaned and keep them pressed and ready for a moment's notice. When life gets crazy there isn't always time to go buy a new shirt.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Call me crazy, but it's nice to have multiple white shirts, in case one needs to be washed or becomes damaged. Perhaps I live in a world of luxury. One can have a wardrobe full of other colors and patterns, but I can tell you now that having only one white shirt is a recipe for trouble.

Beyond that, I can't agree with your advice. I'd say a point collar with button cuffs is much more universal than the options you suggest. I wouldn't recommend either for an entry-level interview.

agreed. if you are working in the business world in America, you need to have some white shirts. I have 3 button cuff white cotton shirts (and a few FC and one linen, but they don't count). I use them only for interviews and other situations where I am meeting americans in a situation where I don't know them and need them.

Normally I don't wear white shirts, but some times you just have to suck it up.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this for an investment banking internship, I would strongly recommend against wearing a FC shirt. Buy a new white button cuff shirt that would not be to ostentatious. I actually never wore a FC shirt during my earlier years, that may also be to the fact that i have always rolled up my sleeves. If you have a blue button cuff shirt, I would even wear that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics