• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Q regarding wind-up watches

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i recently picked up my first vintage watch on ebay (1949 Bulova Art Deco).
This morning, I believe I made the mistake of winding it up while it was still running.
At the moment, it is stopped, and won't wind backwards any further.
It can still be wound forward, but that appears to have no effect on the actual winding mechanism.

I'm concerned that I may have over-wound it and possibly damaged it.
Thoughts?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you dont have to stop the movement to wind it. is it still running? if so you probably just wound it till the end (winding in the other direction may be meaningless if its a undirectional winder) if its not running take to a watch repair guy you may have damaged it. hope this helps

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's still ticking wait 24 hours. Then test the tension on the crown again.
I'm sure you already know to never over-wind.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
its pretty tough to overwind a watch unless you just arent paying attention.

Congrats on the new watch. I love vintage hand winds.

MadTxn

Reaction score
You should really take it to a watchmaker (not jeweler) and have it cleaned & oiled. The oils in the movement can "gum up" over time reducing lubrication and eventually damaging the watch. That's most likely why yours stopped. You might find that a good shake would have started it.

Get it serviced every few years and it will last forever. Pics?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hacking seconds is the function you're talking about. That's when you pull out the crown and the second hand stops. Most winding mechanisms don't require the crown to be pulled out to wind the watch. Even those with a screwdown crown don't hack when in the winding state.

Generally wind by moving the crown in the winding direciton approximately 30 times, then wind it backwards once to relieve some overtension.

Nobody can diagnose your watch over the internet. However, I would say let it sit for a day. If it's still running good. If not, try to wind. If it doesn't budge with soft turning, then take it to a watchmaker to open and take a look.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, get it cleaned and oiled. Those old watches have a tendency to be gummed up. They also often lack shock resistance, or are easily shocked into stopping the balance wheel. Just part of the fun that goes along with the beauty of those old pieces.

Mike

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
If it gets gummed/jammed up upon winding or over-winding, I believe one can also hold it 90 degrees to a hard surface - maybe an inch or so away from the surface (wood is best and perhaps cover the surface with a t-shirt or other soft cloth if worried about the finish) - and then give the watch a gentle rap onto the surface. Best to strike with the side opposite the crown - and certainly not directly onto the crown.

If it's capable of running again - that may get it moving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads