• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick note to e-bay sellers

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please do not list a best offer feature if you don't actually plan to consider best offers more then a buck or two lower then your buy it now price. There's no real point, and it's just annoying. Just list it as BIN and be done with it.

That's all.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, the pants will be mine in the end. Still, it's annoying when you think that a price is actually somewhat negotiable, and the seller is just being a dick with the minimum they set being two bucks below the listed price.

AE7

Reaction score
Hey, life if is more than an ebay bid! Relax!

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It i an annoying thing that many do. It does not make any sense at all.

BBC

Reaction score
Yeah, but just as annoying are those who offer $50 on something listed at $250. Or, those who want free shipping on a $12 item with $3 shipping.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Yeah, but just as annoying are those who offer $50 on something listed at $250. Or, those who want free shipping on a $12 item with $3 shipping.

So set the minimum at $200, and evaluate offers. Don't list the minimum at $240. Or just do away with the best offer bit. As for the $12 item, if you're not willing to knock off $3, don't use best offer. When you use that option, it means you're flexible on price. Being willing to knock 50 cents off a $12 item is not being flexible. $3 is 25%, which falls, to me, within the reasonable range. If you can't get to the point of at least, say, a 15% discount, just list your price and stick with it.

I think people understand when a seller isn't all that flexible on price, especially if the item is already reasonably priced. But don't pretend you are when you're not. If you think an item will sell faster at a marginally lower price, just list it at that price. $225 instead of the $250, or $10.99 instead of $12.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Usually sellers are willing to come down 10-15% from their best offer. They're not going to take 50% of their asking price if that's what you're thinking

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Usually sellers are willing to come down 10-15% from their best offer. They're not going to take 50% of their asking price if that's what you're thinking

I'm not asking for 50%. 15% is fine, 10% is fine, provided those numbers are monetarily significant. When you're setting the minimum $1.50 below the asking price, that's not enough to warrant the "LOOK! I'm flexible on price!" bit, because $1-2 bucks don't mean a lot to most people. When I see a make offer on a listing, I'm expecting the seller to actually have a margin they're willing to work with. $1.50 off of a $20 item is not a real margin.

If you're not actually flexible on price, don't pretend you are. That's all this boils down to.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Please do not list a best offer feature if you don't actually plan to consider best offers more then a buck or two lower then your buy it now price. There's no real point, and it's just annoying. Just list it as BIN and be done with it.

That's all.

Im with Jeff on this one. I think it is ridiculous to have a BIN of $300, and a seller whom rejected my $240 offer but said he would consider $290. I sent seller back an email telling him in a courteous way he could stick that shirt up where the sun dont shine.

With BNWT stuff, a seller that sells by BIN with an offer possibility should at least entertain a 20% below BIN price.

With second hand stuff, you see a lot of sellers take offers half of BIN - where usually the BIN was grossly inflated.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
Hey, life if is more than an ebay bid! Relax!

+1. Re-fukkin-lax!

shademore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Im with Jeff on this one. I think it is ridiculous to have a BIN of $300, and a seller whom rejected my $240 offer but said he would consider $290. I sent seller back an email telling him in a courteous way he could stick that shirt up where the sun dont shine.

With BNWT stuff, a seller that sells by BIN with an offer possibility should at least entertain a 20% below BIN price.

With second hand stuff, you see a lot of sellers take offers half of BIN - where usually the BIN was grossly inflated.

Nothing quite like selling BNWT items at 30% off retail with no tax and free shipping to have buyers looking for you to "at least entertain a 20% below BIN price".

On the rare occasions when I enable the "Best Offer" option, I set the auto reject at 10% below asking. Its much easier than having to politely tell all the bottom feeders to F* OFF.

Cheers

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shademore
Nothing quite like selling BNWT items at 30% off retail with no tax and free shipping to have buyers looking for you to "at least entertain a 20% below BIN price".

On the rare occasions when I enable the "Best Offer" option, I set the auto reject at 10% below asking. Its much easier than having to politely tell all the bottom feeders to F* OFF.

Cheers

Then the make an offer button is not for you. It's for people who are actually flexible on price.

+1. Re-fukkin-lax!
I was never all that worked up. Just a little peeved. If you don't intend to actually contribute to a thread, don't bother replying.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Then the make an offer button is not for you. It's for people who are actually flexible on price.

I was never all that worked up. Just a little peeved. If you don't intend to actually contribute to a thread, don't bother replying.

i did contribute by telling you to relax!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, if that was ubiquitously the case, I would just click Buy it Now and think no more on that.

What makes me slightly irritated though is seeing obviously older NWT items (probably picked up dirt cheap on clearance racks in outlets or at consignment stores) with BIN set at 30% off retail price and seller not accepting "reasonable offers". By reasonable, I infer within 20 - 25% off BIN price.

That is sensible, but if you are selling quality items at a 30% off retail, I would not even use the offer and click BIN without sparing a second thought.

Bottom line, it is Seller discretion. Good sellers know if they are selling hot cakes or mouldy donuts and correspondingly adjust the price. Also good sellers do not over pay for sub par items and then are forced to sell highly just to make a meagre profit or break even.

Originally Posted by ter1413
+1. Re-fukkin-lax!

+ 1, time for me also to take some chill pills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads