• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick measurement question.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im going to order a suit Which is European Size 46 and they say the chest measurement is 36. My chest measures 34-34.5. Would this be to big for me. If so do you think it would be fairly easy to get altered?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Im going to order a suit Which is European Size 46 and they say the chest measurement is 36. My chest measures 34-34.5. Would this be to big for me. If so do you think it would be fairly easy to get altered?
A European 46 would translate to a US 36. Now if that is in fact a real 36 chest is an entire different discussion. You would need to get real measurements.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Firstly, when you measure your chest, make sure the tape goes over your shoulder blades as well so you get your widest chest measurement. I'd be surprised if a suit marked as a EU 46 / us 36 actually measured 36 inches in the chest, very few makers do that. For comparison I have a 38inch chest and find most suits sized 36 (euro 46) fit me well, in the chest at least.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I confused my self. I am looking at brownsfashion.com The Size guide says A Chest Measurement of 36 inches corresponds to a european suit size 46. Now I was told the way to measure your chest is measure underneath our armpits by the man boobs. What I want to know is if a 36 inch chest suit will be to big for me who has a 34-34.5 inch chest measurement.

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I confused my self. I am looking at brownsfashion.com The Size guide says A Chest Measurement of 36 inches corresponds to a european suit size 46. Now I was told the way to measure your chest is measure underneath our armpits by the man boobs. What I want to know is if a 36 inch chest suit will be to big for me who has a 34-34.5 inch chest measurement.

A US36R ie e46 suit jacket typically measures 38-40" in circumference to fit someone with a 36" chest
I would think that a size 36, unless cut very slim would probably be too big for you.. you might want to look for 34R suits, which are harder to find (I have one that I'll list in B&S soon), but are out there

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if your chest really measures 34 you are supposed to wear a size 34/44 jacket. you lay the jacket down and measure that jacket, it could measure 35-38" or even bigger. whether your chest really measures 34, or whether that particular 34/44 jacket is slim or relaxed, no way to know. go to the most basic, douchebag suit shop and they will measure your bird chest for you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics