• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Inquiry: laces and leather conditioner for Alden Indy boots?

agfachrome25

Reaction score
I just received my Alden Indy boots (which are quite stunning and a worthy rival of the Russell Imperial boots I almost purchased). Despite the robust nature/design of the boots, I'm assuming that the flimsy laces will need rapid replacement. Could people please advise on best 45" waxed replacements for these boots. I'm assuming that laces will need to be quite narrow to fit the speed laces at the top of the boot. Also, for a rainy climate, what type of shoe care products might I apply (immediately?) to these boots? I hate to baby the Aldens but I also want to make sure that I don't damage them after a single week of wear. Also, has anyone tried the shell cordovan version of the indy boots available through Leather Soul Hawaii (http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/) Regards, LL

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the laces. I'm just going to use the ones that came with the boots until they wear out and go from there.

Regarding conditioner, the folks on the IndyGear website recommend Pecards (www.pecard.com). I purchased the classic leather dressing, which is colorless. To the extent you want to darken the leather at all, I believe some folks on the IndyGear website use the brown version of the Pecards (found under "fashion leather dressing" on the Pecards website). However, you may want to do a little more research into this before attempting to darken the boots (I have no interest in doing this, so I haven't looked into it extensively).

I haven't tried the shell version of the Indy Boots from Leather Soul, but they look great in the pictures (I think they do both a Color 8 and a cigar version).

I hope this helps.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
I have not purchased those shoes but I have purchased other Alden shoes from Tom @ Leather Soul Hawaii. He is my favorite Alden dealer. I really enjoy dealing with him.

agfachrome25

Reaction score
Is the classic conditioner the one which is somewhat jellylike? Wondering if this might attract dirt/grit to the leather surface? On the other hand, it seems like a good match for rainy Oregon conditions.

Just found out from Alden site that they will manufacture boots in widths which are not normally available. For instance, I'd really like to have purchased a 6e. However, the aldenshop and others only carry the shoe in 6d. If I had known I could have had the shoe in 6e I would not have worn my shoes out of the house (side note: if anyone would like to purchase a basically new pair of 6d aldens... let me know and I'll put in my order for the 6e?)

minimal

Reaction score
That's another call for using the search function. Searching for "alden indy widths" brings up my post of a few weeks ago where I stated exactly that about the widths available.

Before I buy almost *anything* I do the search here. That's one of the best things about SF.

Originally Posted by agfachrome25
[snip...]
Just found out from Alden site that they will manufacture boots in widths which are not normally available. For instance, I'd really like to have purchased a 6e. However, the aldenshop and others only carry the shoe in 6d. If I had known I could have had the shoe in 6e I would not have worn my shoes out of the house (side note: if anyone would like to purchase a basically new pair of 6d aldens... let me know and I'll put in my order for the 6e?)

agfachrome25

Reaction score
Agreed. I did search the archive but didnt comb through all the posts. Need more searchable fields...

Thanks for posting
LL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads