• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick help matching Tie and shirt

matstyleku

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good tie to go with this shirt for a long time and can't seem to find anything that really pleases my eye. I'm starting to think it's just me as I have been watching White Collar and see a lot of odd combos that look fine. Anyways, which ties look best with the shirt pictured? I was thinking number 3, then 1, but would appreciate just some quick opinions. as another quick question, what color shirt would 1 be could with? solid purple?
IMG_1232.jpg

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never a striped tie with that striped shirt. Stripe overload. Needs more contrast. If you must... I Guess number 2

Reaction score
Frank Slaughtery: You know, you're wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, you know that, right?
Phelan: Yeah, I do it for the ladies.
Frank Slaughtery: Oh - the ladies ever tell you that you look like a ******* optical illusion?

matstyleku

Reaction score
haha.. I know that's the general saying, but it seems that I see many examples of people doing stripe with stripe and it looks alright. Granted, it's usually pretty broadly stripes and relatively subtle. example:
vlcsnap-2011-02-04-17h53m46s48.png

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go tie number two, but then why not branch out into a contrasting pattern or solid colour, if you can afford it try this http://www.tiedeals.com/index.htm I have picked up few good ties here of late.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku
haha.. I know that's the general saying, but it seems that I see many examples of people doing stripe with stripe and it looks alright. Granted, it's usually pretty broadly stripes and relatively subtle.

example:
vlcsnap-2011-02-04-17h53m46s48.png

Hmm... personally it looks like he just got his first magazine of GQ and is trying too hard

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I would go tie number two, but then why not branch out into a contrasting pattern or solid colour, if you can afford it try this http://www.tiedeals.com/index.htm I have picked up few good ties here of late.
Why do you believe those are authentic? They are selling dozens of styles of Louis Vuitton ties and to my knowledge LV does not allow their merchandise to be sold on random websites this way.

Blamm

Reaction score
Personally don't like ties 1, 2, or 4. Save 3 for another shirt. Go get a solid navy tie

matstyleku

Reaction score
hmm.. I have a solid navy tie, but never thought of pairing it with this shirt. I will try to keep my eye out for a nice cheap purple non-stripe pattern, but in the meantime will go with 2 or 3. Thanks for the suggestions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blamm
Personally don't like ties 1, 2, or 4. Save 3 for another shirt. Go get a solid navy tie

+1 esp if you are wearing a blue suit...

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
+1 esp if you are wearing a blue suit...
Unfortunately, I rarely ever do suits. Would it be good with blue pants and a white coat (as required)? as another quick question, what color shirt would 1 be could with? solid purple?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt: white background with, for example, blue or purple checks. Solid white, cream, or light blue probably would be okay.

A solid navy tie tends to look strange with navy pants.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#2 is the best choice of the four you listed, but I don't like the sheen so much. Maybe in wool. Agree with the advice on navy being the better choice.

I like the third tie, but it's too busy for this shirt. The first tie and the fourth tie are making my toddler cry. Damn you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads