1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Quick, Healthy Breakfasts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Nomad_K

Nomad_K Senior member

Cliff bar and good coffee.

I make things more complicated by adding fruit but the above works well if you are in a rush.

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

Didn't realize "steel cut oats' would generate so many questions.

I don't cook in a crook pot, though you can soak them 3 water to 1 oats overnight to take cooking time down to 10 minutes, but that isn't what the OP was asking. I just cook them at night, then refridgerate. They heat up in 2 minutes and keep well for 4-5 days.

Oats in whole form are called Oat groats and sort of look like plump rice. You can cook and eat those too, or soak overnight to make muesli. Steel cut is just a less processed form than rolled oats. Once you see a whole oat groat you can easily visualize that grain being "diced" into small pieces for steel cut, or rolled out for "rolled" oats.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Cool. I'm lazy so whenever I make steel cut oats, I throw them in the crock pot overnight. I know you are supposed to pan brown them in butter before you cook them, for a more nutty flavor, but I don't care.

4. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Trader Joe's frozen steel cut oatmeal.

Almond butter on whole wheat.

Protein bar.

5. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Really? We must be talking about 2 completely different things. I am referring to this:

[​IMG]

I put a scoop into a bowl, cover it with water and nuke it for a minute. It comes out cooked.

You may have a different definition of "cooked" if you're cooking those old fashioned oats in 1-minute. The old fashioned oats don't come out right in 1 minute for me whenever I tried.

I eat the same Quaker Oats brand, but specifically the one labeled "Quick- 1 minute" and I nuke that in the microwave for 1:30, which come out to my liking.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

carbs and fat together are not so good. i have had the same breakfast 6 days a week for years. 5 eggs, broccoli and strawberries. coffee and 24 oz water.
    sorry, Ranger, nothing anywhere near that cheap. option 1 - protien shake with fruit and spices option 2 - frozen trader joes oatmeal with peanut butter both about a buck a day

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

You may have a different definition of "cooked" if you're cooking those old fashioned oats in 1-minute. The old fashioned oats don't come out right in 1 minute for me whenever I tried.

I eat the same Quaker Oats brand, but specifically the one labeled "Quick- 1 minute" and I nuke that in the microwave for 1:30, which come out to my liking.

I also used the "Quick 1 minute" oats When I ate oatmeal regularly for breakfast. A minute and a half in the microwave and they were done. I often added apples and dried cranberries to it.

8. why

why Senior member

carbs and fat together are not so good.

It doesn't really matter. The body regulates both blood sugar and serum lipids very well in most people and both are pretty omnipresent in the bloodstream. It's pretty normal for someone to have a fasted glucose level of 100mg/dL then eat a normal amount of carbs for a meal and have their blood sugar raise to perhaps only 115mg/dL or so. Insulin doesn't solely affect postprandial glucose -- it affects pretty much all glucose that enters the bloodstream, whether it's introduced by a bowl of pasta or released from liver stores from last night's pear cobbler.

Besides, most people consuming 'fats' aren't drinking cooking oil, so the protein they consume raises insulin levels anyway (most likely through gluconeogenesis...the liver can only hold onto so many amino acids so converts the rest into glucose except for leucine and another which have strictly ketogenic metabolites).

9. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

carbs and fat together are not so good.

i have had the same breakfast 6 days a week for years. 5 eggs, broccoli and strawberries. coffee and 24 oz water.

Don't you get bored of that breakfast?

10. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

IDK, they come out soft for me. They are a bit chewy in the center, but it doesn't bother me.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

no, because on the 7th day, i get 4 different ihop breakfasts

Don't you get bored of that breakfast?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member

I eat bare naked granola with milk and a double espresso. Sometimes I eat a toast with honey or jam instead of the cereal.

whacked - do you really make eggs benedict every morning?

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^i made eggs benedict every morning over xmas break for a week. probably won't be having it again any time soon.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member

Interesting - I love eggs benedict but I'm pretty sure I'd end up hating them if I had them more than twice in a row

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^strangely, the boys discovered that it was their all-time favorite breakfast. I didn't mind eating them that frequently but the constant making of teh hollandaise was kind of sickening after a while.

served them over crabcakes instead of muffins to mix it up one morning.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member

That sounds delicious and I'm hungry

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

it was, and i am too

18. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

There is no ihop up here in Canada [​IMG]

19. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

There is no ihop up here in Canada [​IMG]

Well, it doesn't sound the International House of Pancakes is really International, then does it?

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Ftfy
    Ew I hate McGriddles. BEC biscuit plz [​IMG]