• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick fit check (please)

blindlemonjeff

Reaction score
Not sure if thia topic is too frivolous for its own post or whether I'm breaking any rules, hopefully not, but I'm looking for some advice on a jacket.fit.

Pics below of the same jacket in different sizes. The lighter one is a 38 and darker is a 40. Feel like the 38 is a little too small in the chest but the 40 is a little large in the shoulders. If the lighter one is the better fit (and I'm not sure that it is) I wonder if it can be let out (attached a pic of inside too). I'm leaning towards the lighter one color-wise Thoughts?

IMG_20200921_175745~2.jpg
IMG_20200921_175813~2.jpg
IMG_20200921_175620~2.jpg
IMG_20200921_175625~2.jpg
IMG_20200921_175906~2.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found it hard to cmopare these two jackets because the photos are at different scales. For those who are going to participate in this thread, I scaled the two photos side by side. I believe they're comparable now because the shoulders and knees line up. Hopefully, some people find this useful.

I like the dark brown jacket on you better, both in terms of color and silhouette.

IMG_20200921_175620_2.jpg

blindlemonjeff

Reaction score
I found it hard to cmopare these two jackets because the photos are at different scales. For those who are going to participate in this thread, I scaled the two photos side by side. I believe they're comparable now because the shoulders and knees line up. Hopefully, some people find this useful.

I like the dark brown jacket on you better, both in terms of color and silhouette.

View attachment 1462948

Doing God's work here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The side by side comparisons for the side view

IMG_20200921_175625_2.jpg

It's a small thing, but the front balance looks a bit short, which makes the coat look like it's riding up on you. You look fairly thin, so I don't think it's because you have a paunch. Rather, I think it's because you're standing overly erect, which is pushing the coat up on the front. I imagine if you stood naturally, the coat's hem would look more even.

Depending on the price of that coat, I think the dark brown one would be a good buy. Especially if you think you're standing straighter than normal in this side view.

blindlemonjeff

Reaction score
Depending on the price of that coat, I think the dark brown one would be a good buy. Especially if you think you're standing straighter than normal in this side view.

Well the last piece of advice I took from you resulted in the successful tracking down of the manufacturer of my grandfather's Loden (which I now have my very own version of) so I feel pretty confident following your advice again here. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads