• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick fit check..pants tapered far too much?

Krishna44

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forums. I’ve recently had to start wearing suits regularly and have favored modern slim cut suits with no break on the pants. Given that, I feel my tailor has probably taken my request perhaps a bit to far.. I only have a couple photos currently, and not from all angles, but would love some quick feedback on the pants fit.

Thanks!

DDE4061E-7BFF-4A7A-8F26-1820D92C8898.jpeg
CF2C09F9-C803-4E1B-B5AB-6978D58CFCC5.jpeg
A0EA0A63-69C0-49B3-9B6A-D545334A0B05.jpeg

refinery

Reaction score
I personally believe your pants are much too fitted and it doesn't look comfortable to move around in, but if YOU like it, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are ridiculously tight. And if those are meant to be worn at work, I’m afraid you’ll be noticed for all of the wrong reasons.

gte872h

Reaction score
Yes they are. I somehow instantly knew the answer would be a “definite yes” after reading the title of the thread. BTW, if I were to wear pants that tight I would immediately split them in half the first time I sat down.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forums. I’ve recently had to start wearing suits regularly and have favored modern slim cut suits with no break on the pants. Given that, I feel my tailor has probably taken my request perhaps a bit to far.. I only have a couple photos currently, and not from all angles, but would love some quick feedback on the pants fit.

Thanks!

View attachment 1435264 View attachment 1435265 View attachment 1435267
Get rid of the flares man. It's not 1972. (Erm yes, they seem a little too tapered - maybe he can take them out a bit).

Krishna44

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback!

I think my tailor did a pretty good job in executing a pair of pants this fitted in that I don’t feel constricted and have no fear of splitting the pants. I also read something about being able to grab an inch of fabric which I can do, so I didn’t really notice how tight they appeared until these pictures.

Hopefully they can be taken back out at least some!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion—if the trouser legs can’t hang cleanly and cling to parts of your legs then they’re too tapered.

coldbrew

Reaction score
It's definitely too tight. The trouser should be able to 'hang' and show an uninterrupted trouser line. A slightly roomier pair of trousers will also allow better air circulation, you will feel more comfortable and more natural wearing it all day.

See if you tailor can let out the pants, from the crotch all the way down to the leg opening.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the bright side though, I do like the floor to ceiling windows in your apartment! I hope the view is worth it.

rwtc

Reaction score
Needs to be looser.

Some people think slimmer the better... you'll end up with something like this..... not okay, muscular or not:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taper them a bit more to achieve the best look!

Krishna44

Reaction score
Haha well played. I unfortunately have one other pair tapered the same way. I’m hoping they can be let out some, not sure when I’ll be able to visit my tailor to find out due to the obvious.

In the mean time however, I can post a few more photos for everyone’s entertainment. I think the light grey perhaps makes for that pair to look particularly bad in the photos. I put them on and looking in the mirror, they just don’t seem to look as bad as they do in the pictures. I’m hoping I can post some measurements and get some objective thoughts on the limit of how tapered any of my trousers should go. For example, the leg opening is 6.25 inches.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
7.75" is the slimmest I would go unless you have an unusual build. From the photos you've posted, you look like you have an average build.

Not only are the trousers too tapered, but the skin-tight trousers also look incongruous with the suit jacket.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only are the trousers too tapered, but the skin-tight trousers also look incongruous with the suit jacket.

not to mention the size of your feet, or at least the size of the shoes being shown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads