• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick cover letter question

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the end of all my cover letters, I always write something along the lines of, "Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss blah blah blah." Do you think that the "the" implies an expectation -- perhaps even an arrogant assumption -- that they will be giving me an interview? Should I replace it with "I look forward to an opportunity..." to suggest hopefulness? I've received several interviews so far.. but just in case as I apply to more firms. Thanks! Oh, P.S. I have this sentence for a cover letter to a consulting firm, "I believe this is a testament to the effectiveness of the company’s recommendations and blah blah blah." I was thinking about changing it to "company's consulting capabilities" or something along those lines. Maybe "strategic recommendations." I dunno. Thoughts? Am I being too analytical/anal? Edit: It's a boutique consulting firm. I obviously wouldn't say consulting capabilities if I were applying to MBB or one of the top tier consulting firms. I'm worried that 'consulting capabilities' kind of has that implication that the firm isn't a huge consultancy, or rather, that it makes it salient that it's not one. Dunno if I'm explaining that right.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Keep the. Its a cover letter, you are selling yourself. A little bit of an assumption is better than hopefulness.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"the" is slighly more assertive, yes. But not obnoxious.

If this is the only change in the entire letter, I would use "the".

also, fyi, as a hiring person, I never noticed these things...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool. thanks guys.

how about in regards to my second question?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"company's recommendations" is vague. It's a cover letter, so you are forcing the reader to do a double-take ("does he mean someone writing a recommendation for this job? no wait, I see now")

I can't say what the best phrasing is unless i have the whole letter, but you get the point.

also, again, in the grand scheme of things, a hiring person would (should) not hang you for things like this...

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like a slightly more agressive cover letter. Makes you seem confident which doesnt hurt. Dont put something kitstchy like 'so when can I start', but something like, I look forward to talking with you further. Or I look forward to setting up a followup conversation. Those subliminal things can make people respond in kind.

Gutman

Reaction score
"the opportunity" is accepted idiom. "an" opportunity sounds wishy-washy. no points for being indirect, say what you mean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads