• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questons about Chan

montmorency

Reaction score
I have a special event coming up in March that I want to buy a new suit for. I was going to have a suit made for me locally, but Whoopee's post on his recent suit and sportcoat from Chan got me interested in trying them out. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here could help me out with:

If I order a suit from Chan in November on their US tour, when can I expect to receive it?

I am concerned about using a traveling tailor who only takes measurements and there are no fittings while the suit is being made. My one experience with a visiting Hong Kong tailor came about twenty years ago and was not good. So, what are the chances that Chan will get the first suit made for me right?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montmorency
If I order a suit from Chan in November on their US tour, when can I expect to receive it?

Late February.

Originally Posted by montmorency
I am concerned about using a traveling tailor who only takes measurements and there are no fittings while the suit is being made. My one experience with a visiting Hong Kong tailor came about twenty years ago and was not good. So, what are the chances that Chan will get the first suit made for me right?

My first Chan suit arrived with some fairly significant issues, which can be seen in the attached thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=Chan

To his and his firm's great credit, Patrick rectified the concerns. But getting the pattern down took a de facto fitting on Chan's March tour. Below is the same suit after the alterations.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should certainly get your suit in time for a March event. If you stress that you have a deadline, Chan will try to accommodate you.

My first suit from Chan does not have quite the perfection of fit that my subsequent orders display. That still doesn't keep it from being by far the best suit I own in terms of fit and quality.

My stepson's half-brother just got a suit from Chan on the strength of my recommendations. He was delighted with it, said it was the best-fitting suit he'd ever had. (And he could buy and sell me many times over!)

drake

Reaction score
That's a real nice suit VG
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Late February.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
montmorency, answered your q's on the other thread.

Obviously, I like Chan, and I imagine I've brought them some decent business. However, if you need a suit that you really think fits and looks well by March, I would suggest you stick with your local option - if they are bespoke and provide fittings. Chan are a long term choice; your third and fourth suits will be considerably better than your first and second. One needs to start with the slightly imperfect at some point to reach the perfectly satisfactory level, but if this occasion requires something better than the former, I cannot suggest ordering from the tour.

PS V. Gent's and some other posters' results on their first suits are better than mine. Some I've seen are worse.

montmorency

Reaction score
Whoopee, thanks for the honest and informative reply. You have properly reined in my enthusiasm for the moment. I still want to order a suit from them at some point and get to the level of where you are with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads