• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

questions regarding YOOX

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is a description of a suit on Yoox. Â My questions are: What is "wool voile"? Is there a way to query Yoox about whether this piece is fused or canvassed? Why doesn't Yoox tell whether a suit is long, regular, or short? How can I tell whether this item is a clearnace item (therefore non-returnable)? Thanks. PRADA YOOX collection: Fall-Winter Description Men's suit Pinstripe wool - Wool voile Hook-and-bar, zip fly closure Centred rear vent Three pockets Three internal jacket pockets Creased, tapering leg Four pockets Single-breasted closure Unfinished hems Composition 100% Wool Dimensions Width at end: 7.8 Inches
49000459212da.jpg

bryce330

Reaction score
What is "wool voile"?
Is there a way to query Yoox about whether this piece is fused or canvassed?
Why doesn't Yoox tell whether a suit is long, regular, or short?
How can I tell whether this item is a clearnace item (therefore non-returnable)?
You could try calling Yoox customer service, but they are pretty useless in my experience and would likely not be able to tell you whether the suit is fused or canvassed.  

I would guess it is almost certainly fused, however, like almost all Prada suits.

Many European suits are not sized S/R/L - it is probably a European size 50 or 52 or whatever with no indication of length.  

Yoox has a very good return policy - if something is non-refundable it will usually say so on the item page.  They haven't had their final markdowns yet so I assume everything currently on the site can be returned.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try calling Yoox customer service, but they are pretty useless in my experience and would likely not be able to tell you whether the suit is fused or canvassed.  

I would guess it is almost certainly fused, however, like almost all Prada suits.

Many European suits are not sized S/R/L - it is probably a European size 50 or 52 or whatever with no indication of length.  

Yoox has a very good return policy - if something is non-refundable it will usually say so on the item page.  They haven't had their final markdowns yet so I assume everything currently on the site can be returned.
Yes, thanks.

I called Yoox customer service: she believes the sizes are all regular. She does not know what canvassed or fused means. The suit I am interested in is from fall-winter 2003.

I called Casey at the Chicago Prada boutique. He believes the manufacturer for their suits hasn't changed. However, I fear the canvassed suits I have been successful at finding in the Chicago Prada boutique are unique to Prada boutiques. Everywhere else I have looked at Prada suits, they have been fused (notably, NM).

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
However, I fear the canvassed suits I have been successful at finding in the Chicago Prada boutique are unique to Prada boutiques.  Everywhere else I have looked at Prada suits, they have been fused (notably, NM).
This may be an American thing, but in the UK Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Browns and Harrods sell exactly the same things as the Prada boutiques on Sloane and Old Bond. So I am quite sure NM has the same stuff unless its different in the US.

But remember this is a past season suit on yoox, as you have found out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Return policy is good, so give it a try. I think that all Prada suits from the past 2 or 3 years have been canvassed. Seriously though, a Prada suit is about the design, and to a lesser extent, the materials. Construction is really a secondary consideration.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Return policy is good, so give it a try.  I think that all Prada suits from the past 2 or 3 years have been canvassed.  Seriously though, a Prada suit is about the design, and to a lesser extent, the materials.  Construction is really a secondary consideration.
Exactly, you will not get the styling of a Prada even on a $6000 Saville Row suit, it is about the styling. I would say forget the canvassing if you like the suit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy,

Don't you think that poor construction and poor materials compromise the upside of good design though? To my now obsessive eye, a fused suit just never fits across the chest properly, no matter how well the cutting was done.

But, I have had the same experienc as you with Prada -- all have been canvassed that I've seen in the past 12 months.

Brian SD

Reaction score
LA Guy,

Don't you think that poor construction and poor materials compromise the upside of good design though? To my now obsessive eye, a fused suit just never fits across the chest properly, no matter how well the cutting was done.

But, I have had the same experienc as you with Prada -- all have been canvassed that I've seen in the past 12 months.
I think I would prefer a non-canvassed suit to a canvas one if the styling and materials are great. I find that a nicely tailored suit fits really nicely across the chest, even if it does have some light fusing. Also, in the case of Prada, the suit is wearing you more than you are wearing the suit. It's going to have a distinctive look that may not fit perfectly across the chest, but I often would rather rock a particular style that I am fond of than necessarily have a suit that is designed for my body. Besides being high quality, the materials will always have a nice interestingness in a high fashion suit (such as rubber in the composition, as weird as it sounds) that a $6000 Savile Row suit is lacking.

raumil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Styleman
Exactly, you will not get the styling of a Prada even on a $6000 Saville Row suit, it is about the styling. I would say forget the canvassing if you like the suit.

I agree, these types of suits like Costume National and D&G are all about the style and the cut. No extra fabric anywhere on the arms, torso or legs. Forget about the interior construction or the type canvas, if you like the cut buy it. I used to worry about the canvas, the horse hair lining, the floating or not floating canvas all that died down the minute I tried a Costume National suit. Now I could care less, I just want the look.
bigstar[1].gif

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, it was only four yea's old.

Closer

Reaction score
Oh man. Not only did you respond to a thread that has been dead 4 years.

It was your first post too!

Not only that, they guy you responded to, John April, was a senior member 4 years ago! I do not think he even wears Prada anymore. I think since then, he has bought a zillion Isaia suits.

Oh well. **** happens. Welcome to the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics